[StBernard] Exxon Said to Reduce Rates at Chalmette Refinery After Leak

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 8 00:10:15 EDT 2010

Exxon Said to Reduce Rates at Chalmette Refinery After Leak
By Barbara Powell - Oct 7, 2010 Exxon Mobil Corp. cut production rates at
its Chalmette refinery in Louisiana while it tries to halt a compressed-gas
leak containing hydrogen sulfide that began Oct. 4, said people familiar
with refinery operations.

Exxon is attempting to remove gas from the lines as part of the repair
effort, said the people, who declined to be identified because they aren't
authorized to speak for the refinery.

Kevin Allexon, a spokesman for Exxon, said today in an e- mail that "as to
production impacts, I don't have any information on that at this time. It is
possible we may have an update on this tomorrow."

Allexon said the refinery is in the process of "containing a leak of
compressed flammable gas which contains small amounts of hydrogen sulfide.
We are actively mitigating the odors associated with this release, which are
not considered harmful at the levels being monitored."

At the time of the leak, Exxon was in the process of mothballing a
hydrocracker and one of two cokers at the refinery for economic reasons, the
people said. Other equipment affected include two crude units, a fluid
catalytic cracker, a reformer and a hydrotreater, the people said.

Exxon said Aug. 26 that it would stop operating some units at Chalmette and
eliminate 70 jobs. Exxon declined to say which units would be shut. Wayne J.
Landry, council chairman of St. Bernard Parish, said Aug. 27 that the
refinery would halt operation of a coker and a hydrocracker.

The refinery is a joint venture with Petroleos de Venezuela SA and has a
capacity of 200,700 barrels a day, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.