[StBernard] 6 Months Ago

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 21 09:37:49 EDT 2010

Six months ago today the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded creating the worst oil disaster in U.S. history. Our coast was deluged with oil and national media attention.

<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=juKPJ2PJJdIQLfK&s=jkJVJ6ORLmJ1KbMLIoF&m=8pJLKWOsE8JHI1L>

Watch Clip Here <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=cdIBKHMhH6LDIVI&s=jkJVJ6ORLmJ1KbMLIoF&m=8pJLKWOsE8JHI1L>

Lost in all the commotion at times was the fact that 11 families lost loved ones. I encourage each and every one of you to remember those families as they cope with their loss.

Also lost in the early frenzy of the oil disaster was a six month drilling moratorium that the Obama administration placed on offshore deepwater drilling – delivering a critical economic blow to an already reeling coastal Louisiana.

For my part, I immediately got down to the coast to provide help and leadership. I fought the administration's delay in providing the proper amount of boom in a timely manner and offered legislation that would have made BP completely liable for the spill – at an uncapped level. Here's a video of local media highlighting my legislation. <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=fgKHLQNtF9KKK5L&s=jkJVJ6ORLmJ1KbMLIoF&m=8pJLKWOsE8JHI1L> I also pushed a Senate bill to immediately lift the job-crushing moratorium.

And I was honored to recently receive the endorsement <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=itLNLZOFIcIRIfK&s=jkJVJ6ORLmJ1KbMLIoF&m=8pJLKWOsE8JHI1L> of a bipartisan group of coastal leaders, from five of the parishes worst hit by the tragic gulf oil disaster, who joined in a statement endorsing me for reelection based largely on my fight during the height of the disaster.

While the well leak may finally be capped, the path back to making ourselves whole is still well down the road. The Obama administration still has a de facto moratorium on offshore drilling that I will continue to fight so we can get folks back to work offshore. And, we need to make sure that our seafood industry and fishermen rebound by promoting our quality Louisiana seafood across the country.

Six months ago today our coast was hit and we were sent for a shock, but much like with other recent tragic events to hit Louisiana, we will continue to regroup, rebound and come back stronger.

Sincerely,

David Vitter