[StBernard] School Board Race Heats Up in Saint Bernard

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 28 08:07:16 EDT 2010

At my last meeting I presided, I began and as quickly, I was reminded--by a
Vet--that we say the pledge (and I felt ashamed. It was the 1st meeting at a
new place and the flag was "hidden" behind Halloween décor. In the past, I
have never failed to lead to recite the pledge, but because the flag had
"wiggled" its way to the "rear of da bus" unseen, the pledge took back
burner subconsciously. From here on out, I will bring it from the corner to
immediately behind my podium where there's little chance (besides the vets)
that the pledge will be forgotten.

It too is not a mandatory action at my meeting, but I'll be darn if we dare
forget or purposely ignore where we or or if/when our privilege to respect
our liberty through recitation of flag allegiance be disrespected.

At any function where a group is established, an allegiance should help
remind us why we're able to gather with pride and dignity of those who went
firstly before us to give us the right to assemble.

--jer--