[StBernard] Hospital tax passes in St. Bernard Parish--homestead exemption

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 5 08:12:18 EDT 2010

Thanks for responding, Wes.

To all this, we can gentlemanly "disagree" on terms of "pointless" in
homestead economy as there never has been (in my lifetime) a greater need to
the exemption of taxation than to drop (as in raise taxes by dropping
exemption) a homestead exemption in about the poorest state in the region,
if not the U.S. Empowerment? How'a-bout disembodiment of the poor homeowner
from his/her money during disastrous economies cycles? Never has been a huge
taxation break given than to Louisianans who believe that exemptions are a
reduced taxation and with an already burdensome taxation through a myriad
other hits on the citizens of Louisiana--the break is more than fresh air
from citizens here who feel mine-trapped with little air to make it to the
surface. We'll never agree on the homestead exemption, but since you brought
it up, I thought I'd support it. (especially to the elderly and "barely
making it" homeowner during horrific times in our nation's economy years.

--jer--
Jer,

Louisiana needs to do two things and both of them involve the word drop.

Drop the homestead exemption, it is getting to be rather pointless in
today's economy and does nothing but empower the various parish assessors.

Drop the income tax or the sales tax, preferably the sales tax. Revenues
lost from whichever tax should be made up by revenues gained by dropping the
homestead exemption.

Again, you can write off property taxes and income taxes on your federal
taxes (if you meet certain criteria), but you can never write off sales
taxes.

Westley