[StBernard] St. Bernard Sheriff's Office Arrests New Orleans Man Wanted For 3 Armed Robberies in California

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 8 21:42:12 EST 2010

St. Bernard Sheriff's Office Arrests New Orleans Man Wanted For 3 Armed
Robberies in California
Written by WGNO ABC26 News
Monday, 08 November 2010 11:45

St. Bernard Parish sheriff's detectives captured a New Orleans man wanted
for three armed robberies of convenience stores in California when he tried
to visit a Chalmette woman on Monday, Nov. 8 and created a disturbance,
Chief Deputy Sheriff James Pohlmnann said.

Dennis Eugene Harris, 45, who served prison time for an armed robbery in New
Orleans in the 1980s and also was wanted for robberies in Sacramento,
Calif., committed several months ago, was arrested by St. Bernard Chief of
Detectives Col. John Doran several hours after a disturbance call at a
woman's home on Phillip Court in Chalmette.

Pohlmann said, "Quickly arresting this robber probably prevented a crime
being committed in St. Bernard. A man on the run would be desperate and
there would be every possibility he would commit another crime to get money
to get away.

Pohlmann said the woman, who formerly had a relationship with Harris in New
Orleans and California, said he showed up at her residence unexpectedly
Monday morning, then she called the Sheriff's Office after she told him to
leave.

Detectives learned Harris was wanted on three arrest warrants out of
Sacramento from robberies last summer and were looking around for him in the
area near the disturbance when Doran saw a man resembling Harris' photo
walking near De La Ronde Drive and Patricia Street in Chalmette. Doran
arrested Harris without incident.

Pohlmann said authorities in California said they will move to extradite
Harris on the three armed robbery charges. He is being held as a fugitive in
St. Bernard Parish Prison pending further action by Sacramento officers.

"When we learn someone wanted on a serious charge from somewhere else has
been seen in our parish we make the effort to find them whether or not they
are a suspect in any crimes here," Pohlmann said.