[StBernard] Another Jobs Win

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 2 22:44:42 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

Today, we visited Lake Charles to announce a great economic development win
for Southwest Louisiana and our entire state. Indeed, we announced that
Sasol Ltd. is constructing the world's first commercial ethylene
tetramerization unit right here in Louisiana. This win will result in a $175
million capital investment, nearly 40 new jobs at an average salary of
$62,000 and the retention of 350 new jobs. Our economic development
officials estimate that the new direct jobs will result in roughly 240 new,
indirect jobs. This job win is yet another sign that businesses are taking
note of our strong business climate as Sasol selected Louisiana over sites
on three different continents.

This week we've also been meeting with various policy stakeholders to
discuss how we can continue to move Louisiana forward and meet the state's
budget challenges while protecting critical services. Indeed, on Tuesday we
met with the heads of each higher education system in Louisiana along with
the Interim Commissioner from the Board of Regents to share ideas and see
how we can work together to make the state's colleges and universities more
efficient and meet the state's budget challenges.

As I told the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c6569%7c9390&digest=6T
EosBP0gVo7ph7YE4ojew&sysid=1> , Tuesday's meeting and our future discussions
are all about working together to develop a plan that will help our higher
education system move forward despite the challenges we face. On Wednesday,
we met with stakeholders to discuss K-12 education and today we had a
meeting with healthcare policy stakeholders.

These candid conversations will help us work together to develop a budget
that is balanced, does not raise taxes, protects critical services including
healthcare and higher education, and moves our state forward. We are still
at the beginning of a long budget process, but I know we will finish it
stronger than ever before.

Sincerely,
Governor Bobby Jindal