[StBernard] Community Center to give new shoes to kids this holiday season

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 3 19:19:53 EST 2010

Community Center of St Bernard will provide free shoes to children
through Payless Gives™ Shoes 4 Kids Holiday Giving Program

The Community Center of St Bernard, 1111 LeBeau St, Arabi is pleased
to announce that it has been selected as an official partner of
Payless Gives, an annual giving program from Payless ShoeSource. The
Center is among 800 charitable agencies representing all 50 states in
the United States, across Canada and Puerto Rico and in 10 Latin
American countries to be part of the program.

The Community Center will be distributing coupons for shoes to
children whose families who participate in our Mustard Seed Food
Pantry. Being in the Food Pantry means that each family has an income
less than 130% of the federal poverty limit. In real dollar amounts,
98% of these families earn less than $25,000 annually, and 65% are
struggling to get by on $10,000 per year or less.

“In its third year, the goal of the Payless Gives Shoes 4 Kids
program remains the same -- to provide footwear, a basic necessity,
to children who might otherwise go without,” said LuAnn Via, CEO of
Payless. “The success of the program over the past two years, and
the number of children and families we have been able to assist,
continues to drive our efforts. Unemployment is still very high,
affecting many families that struggle to provide their children with
basic essentials. This is especially challenging during the
holidays, and with the Community Center of St Bernard’s help, we
hope to make a bigger impact than ever this year.”