[StBernard] EPA REgion 6 Compliance and Enforcement Results for 2010

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 7 08:42:10 EST 2010

EPA Region 6 Compliance and Enforcement Results for 2010

(DALLAS - December 6, 2010) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
regional office announced that enforcement actions in fiscal year 2010
resulted in $887 million in pollution controls by companies, governments and
other regulated entities. The region estimates a total of 83 million pounds
of pollutants will be reduced, treated or eliminated as well as 1.9 billion
pounds of hazardous waste from five states. In addition, over $14 million
will be used to pay environmental penalties. The Dallas office is
responsible for federal environmental programs in Arkansas, Louisiana, New
Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

"Holding polluters responsible is a part of our work. It's important to make
clear that when people break environmental laws - laws that have proven over
these last 40 years to have had a marked difference in people's lives - they
put people and communities at risk," said EPA Regional Administrator Al
Armendariz. "We have a strong record of success in enforcing environmental
crimes and will continue to do so whenever necessary to protect people and
communities."

In 2010, EPA brought to conclusion over 500 enforcement actions against
environmental violators in the five state region. A state-by-state summary
is available at http://www.epa.gov/earth1r6/6en/10-axns.html
<http://www.epa.gov/earth1r6/6en/10-axns.html> .

EPA and state regulatory agencies share environmental enforcement authority
for regulated businesses and industry within each state. Through close
coordination, the agencies focus on enforcement actions which bring about
the most environmental benefit. Often, these investigations and actions are
brought by both federal and state agencies. EPA and state agencies also
bring separate environment enforcement cases as part of our shared annual
planning efforts.

For 40 years, EPA has carried out a mission to protect the air we breathe,
to safeguard the water that flows through our communities and into our
homes, and to care for the land where we build homes, schools and
businesses. Compliance with environmental laws is essential to controlling
pollution and protecting the people from exposure to harmful chemicals.

More about activities in EPA Region 6: http://www.epa.gov/region6
<http://www.epa.gov/region6>

EPA audio file is available at:
http://www.epa.gov/region6/6xa/podcast/dec2010.html