[StBernard] Fighting the "Dream Act" bill proposal in America - Say NO to amnesty of illegals!!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Dec 8 21:06:34 EST 2010

Senator David Vitter - e-update
12.7.10

After celebrating a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family, I returned to
Washington to continue fighting for you on several key issues in the U.S.
Senate.

Once again, pro-amnesty senators are pushing the DREAM Act, which I've
strongly opposed since it was first introduced. I've also continued to push
the Obama administration, particularly Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, to
allow American companies to continue exploring domestically for the oil and
gas that we need to power our economy. And I'm fighting against yet another
attempt to spend your money on bailouts, this time for foreign countries
that have recklessly gone bankrupt.

Read below to find out how I'm fighting for you on these and other critical
issues.

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

AMNESTY FIGHT CONTINUES

Last week, I again spoke to my Senate colleagues in opposition to the DREAM
Act (watch a video clip of my speech here). I'm disappointed to see this
bill come up again, because while it is disguised as an educational
initiative, it's really just another measure that offers a path to
citizenship for illegal immigrants in this country. Amnesty is a bad idea
anytime, but this is an especially bad idea in our current economic climate.
I also sent a letter to the director of the Congressional Budget Office
requesting an official "score" to show how much taxpayer money would be used
to provide these incentives to illegal aliens. We need to enforce the
immigration laws already on the books and take steps to control illegal
immigration - not reward bad behavior with educational benefits.

ANOTHER JOB-KILLING DRILLING BAN

The Obama administration recently announced plans to prohibit drilling along
the Atlantic Coast and in the eastern Gulf of Mexico. This alarming
announcement is further proof that the administration doesn't know the first
thing about creating jobs. Cutting off access to American resources from
American businesses will only send more of our money and jobs overseas while
we watch energy prices continue to rise. By refusing to consider the
economic effects of the moratorium and manipulating information to justify
its decisions, this administration has demonstrated that it will stop at
nothing to advance its agenda to reduce - or even completely end - offshore
drilling everywhere.

PUSHING FOR PERMITS

The Obama administration has dramatically slowed down the process of issuing
permits for offshore drilling, creating a de facto moratorium that is
killing jobs and harming the economy in Louisiana and along the Gulf Coast.
I recently met with Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to urge him to address
several specific issues relating to this permitting logjam, and I was
frustrated by the administration's response. I'll keep hammering away on
this issue until we see significant breakthroughs, because the oil and gas
industry is vital to our state's long-term economic health.
NO BAILOUTS FOR BANKRUPT FOREIGN COUNTRIES

The American people have made it clear that they want the federal government
to get out of the business of issuing bailouts to those who are fiscally
irresponsible. It's bad enough that taxpayers were forced to bail out Wall
Street and the major car manufacturers, but now there's growing concern
about an effort to bail out bankrupt foreign governments. The U.S.
government is the largest financial contributor to the International
Monetary Fund (IMF), which is considering issuing bailouts to several
European countries that have recklessly gone into debt. I recently joined
U.S. Sen. John Cornyn of Texas in sending a letter to the Treasury Secretary
urging him to ensure that the U.S. liaison to the IMF will oppose any such
loans that are unlikely to be repaid, so that taxpayers aren't forced to pay
for other countries' irresponsible choices. Rest assured that I will
continue fighting to ensure that your tax dollars don't go to waste.

** For any other questions or concerns visit my Web site at:
www.vitter.senate.gov.