[StBernard] The Right Direction

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 10 08:32:49 EST 2010

Just today I joined officials from DG Foods in Bastrop to announce a new
economic development project estimated to create 317 new direct jobs, 936
new indirect jobs, and $9.7 million in capital investment. This is great
news for Bastrop and North Louisiana. As I told the Monroe News-Star
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c6705%7c9390&digest=Ve
P%2byLd7zSX%2fpP36s6hGQQ&sysid=1
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c6705%7c9390&digest=Ve
P%2byLd7zSX%2fpP36s6hGQQ&sysid=1> > , it's always good to create good-paying
jobs in a community where they are desperately needed and while we are not
yet done, this is a great start. Working closely with local leaders across
our state we will continue to work aggressively to pursue more job
opportunities for our workers so they can pursue their dreams right here at
home.

Yea Bobby! You got a chicken processing plant. That will go well along
with the upscale toilet paper plant additions in Port Hudson.

Some folks in other parts of the country, knowing some of the problems with
these plants, don't want them in their area.

http://tinyurl.com/29mat9q

comment from the link:

I have worked for a company like this one and the average wage for one of
these jobs is $8 to $9 dollars an hour in the processing plants. These jobs
are terreble and you will not get anyone but immigrants to preform these
jobs. Go to Mount Olive NC and you will see that english is a second
lanuage. This was not the case before the processing plants were built...

But that's okay guess that's okay though, because these types of jobs will
be all that can be created after the destruction of the state
college/university system is done.

JY