[StBernard] "High-speed" ferries considered, but bridge tolls must float ...

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 26 22:09:17 EST 2011

sooo, again we have big brother doing us all the favor of "allowing" big
brother to do a bipartisan survey or research to see if this is a viable
alternative. I would like to see them put in ferries that will do 30 miles
an hour for the 1 mile trip across the river. This is preposterous. Just
renew the fees and keep the ferries running as they are. Besides, isn't
there a speed limit on the river anyway? And just who makes up this
governmental research team??? The Bureau of Governmental Research???

"High-speed" ferries considered, but bridge tolls must float first
Reported by: Rob Masson, Reporter
Email: rmasson at fox8tv.net
Last Update: 1/25 6:40 pm

Council calls for revamp of ferry system

High-speed ferries could replace old ferries on the Mississippi
River, but
tolls would remain on the Crescent City Connection. (John Snell)
A committee of the New Orleans City Council approved a resolution
Tuesday
calling for an extension of tolls on the Crescent City Connection
set to
expire next year.

The plan calls for a complete revamp of the ferry system to speed
travelers
from, perhaps, as far as Kenner to Chalmette at up to 30 miles per
hour.

If nothing is done by the end of next year, the three ferries that
operate
in the New Orleans area could become the latest victims of the
rebuilding
effort following Hurricane Katrina

"It's like everything else, you don't miss it until it's gone," said
City
Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell.

The ferries, which cost $8 million a year to operate, are expected
to be
discontinued if the legislature allows tolls on the Crescent City
Connection
to expire at the end of 2012.

"No one is even looking at alternatives," said Fay Ferren, with the
group
Friends of the Ferry.

Her group proposed purchasing two new high-speed ferries, capable of
speeds
of up to 30 miles per hour. Similar ferries were recently built and
sent to
Cozumel, Mexico, from Mid Ship Marine in Marrero. The current
ferries travel
at about four miles per hour.

Ferren says new ferries could connect passengers anywhere from
Chalmette to
Rivertown in Kenner, and she believes the system can only happen if
tolls
are extended.

"Everyone in the region wants to make this happen. We've got
regional
planning, and that's what's going to make this happen," Ferren said.

The proposal got an early thumbs up from the city council's
transportation
committee.

"I do think we have to look at it. A viable option is not to lose
our
ferries," said committee Chairwoman Kristen Gisleson Palmer.

The proposal sounds good to some. Officials would sell off old
ferries and
buy new ones to speed the cross river trip, but extending bridge
tolls is a
thorny issue.

Toll opponents, like state Representative Pat Connick, R-Harvey, say
they
are against any extension of the tolls on the backs of West Bank
commuters.
Connick adds the Crescent City Connection has mismanaged for years.

The Friends of the Ferry would like to use the toll money to keep
one old
ferry, and add two more.

"If the tolls aren't extended, we have to start from square one,"
Ferren
said. And that may just happen, because for now no one has stepped
up in the
legislature to propose extending tolls in a tough economy.

Connick says the Bureau of Governmental Research has agreed to study
the
toll extension issue and issue a report in time for the regular
session of
the legislature, which begins in March.