[StBernard] Fighting to Repeal Obamacare

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 28 18:19:18 EST 2011

Dear Friend,

The reaction to the State of the Union speech last night was the most muted
I've ever seen. I think it's because folks know that bipartisan symbols and
pretty speeches are nice, but what really matters to Louisianians is the
follow-through.

What we need from the president is a major policy shift, not just new
rhetoric. One major policy I'm starting with is repealing Obamacare.

This week, I introduced a bill to fully repeal Obamacare, because I believe
it is unconstitutional, raises taxes and premiums, cuts Medicare by half a
trillion dollars, and puts government bureaucrats between patients and their
doctors. Instead of this big-government approach, we need the targeted,
common-sense reforms I've laid out with others to dramatically reduce costs
and make health services more accessible.

Improving Access to Health Care

We could expand access to breast cancer screenings immediately by
eliminating the motor fuel excise tax for mobile mammography services that
provide on-site mammograms to women in areas that may not currently receive
screenings and preventive care. As someone whose family has suffered a loss
due to breast cancer, I believe prevention and early detection are
incredibly important.

Lowering Cost of Health Care

Additionally, I've committed to cosponsor legislation to provide for
prescription drug reform and allow for the reimportation of safe
prescription medicines. This has been a top priority
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=944b1d39-0b2a-98d6-eaa7-6926d491d50f&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> of mine since arriving in the U.S. Senate. In 2009, I forced

<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124724848777024423.html> the U.S. Senate
to include a provision in the Department of Homeland Security funding bill
that would allow Americans to purchase safe, cheaper prescription drugs from
Canada and over the Internet.

Our legislation will include new requirements to existing law to promote the
safety of domestic and imported medicines including requirements to fight
counterfeiting and the use of tamper-proof packaging.

<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=a977b600-01b4-e2fb-015c-16321ec0b183&PageNum=1>

Click here to view a recent interview about repealing Obamacare
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=a977b600-01b4-e2fb-015c-16321ec0b183&PageNum=1>

I'll continue to fight to repeal Obamacare while promoting common-sense
reforms to dramatically reduce costs and make health services more
accessible.

Sincerely,

David Vitter
United States Senator