[StBernard] Donkey Desperation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 2 08:13:54 EST 2011

Donkey Desperation

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Behind the precipitous fall of the Louisiana Democratic Party - and how it
might climb back to relevance. By Jeremy Alford

"I just know, before this is over, I,m gonna need a whole lot of serious
therapy. Look at my eye twitching." - Donkey (from Shrek, 2001)

Let's begin with a tale of two Buddys: Louisiana Democratic Party Chairman
Buddy Leach and state Attorney General Buddy Caldwell. Both are white,
Southern Democrats with piney-woods accents. Yet, they couldn't be more
different.

Leach is an unapologetic liberal, the last of the red-hot populists. He
oversees the party's operations and is one of its most generous - and
prolific - donors. Caldwell is trending conservative (he joined a slew of
Republican attorneys general in suing to overturn the federal health care
bill) and enjoys a budding alliance with GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal. He's also
the only statewide Democratic official in the Capitol.

There's also something about Mary - as in Mary Landrieu, Louisiana's senior
U.S. senator. She makes up the final part of the Bayou State's Democratic
troika; she fits right in between Leach and Caldwell as a carefully crafted
centrist.
"I think those three people represent what's left of the Democratic Party
here," says political consultant Roy Fletcher, whose lance is for hire by
all comers - Ds and Rs alike. "They represent the different components of
the old coalition. But that has broken down. And since none of them speaks
the same vernacular, the Democratic Party is trying [to redefine] itself.
What do they say? How do they say it? They are their own main challenge."

It's not as if this dilemma snuck up on the Dems. Watching the Donkey Party
lose control in Louisiana has been like watching a cheetah stalk and take
down a gazelle. In slow motion. In high-definition. It was only a matter of
time.

On the Hill, Landrieu and U.S. Rep. Cedric Richmond - both of New Orleans,
where Democrats can still win handily - are the lone Democratic voices for
Louisiana. In the state Legislature, Republicans recently wrested control of
the House for the first time since Reconstruction. Democrats still control
the state Senate, but the fall elections could well change that, too.

The last statewide Democratic official in the Capitol, AG Buddy Caldwell
(left) appears
poised to join the GOP. That defection would leave Dems like state party
Chairman Buddy Leach and senior U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu scrambling to figure
out
how to restore stability to the part
For now, the juiciest intrigue is on the state level.

"The rumors are getting hot and heavy that Caldwell is getting ready to
switch parties," says one longtime Democratic operative who asked not to be
identified. "Then again, there has also been talk about him running for
governor if no one qualifies against Jindal. He's paranoid right now that
there's someone out there, some opposition. Caldwell is perfectly
representative of what Democrats are going through right now."

Adding fuel to the speculation is the lawsuit Caldwell filed on Jindal's
behalf last year challenging Democrat-backed health care law, derisively
known as Obamacare. When contacted last week by The Independent Weekly on
the possibility of switching parties, Caldwell said "no comment."

Kevin Franck, communications director for the Louisiana Democratic Party,
offered up a sobering statement upon hearing Caldwell's silence. "In his
heart, Buddy Caldwell is a Democrat," Franck says, adding he doesn't believe
the rumors, "and whichever way the political winds blow he'll always be a
Democrat."

"Things are dicey right now," the unidentified operative adds. "What happens
if Caldwell does switch and Mary decides not to run for re-election? Where
are we at then? There will be no strong elected [statewide] personality.
It's all dying on the vine."

Sen. Landrieu, however, says she's enjoying her time on the Hill and insists
her possible exit has been greatly exaggerated. "I have served happily for
14 years and intend to serve another term or two, should that be the
people's wish," she says. "I am very comfortable with my centrist record of
accomplishment and look forward to continuing to serve Louisiana and working
on issues important to the state, like our coastal recovery, championing
small businesses and advocating for education reform."

State Sen. John Alario of Westwego and Natural Resources Secretary Scott
Angelle recently switched from Democrat to Republican. Democratic former
Congressman Charlie Melancon was routed by the otherwise tainted Sen. David
Vitter in November, and former Gov. Kathleen Blanco is staying on the
sidelines. The only A-lister left seems to be Mitch Landrieu, who is still
in his first year as New Orleans mayor.

"Of course he can run statewide," says Joshua Stockley, political science
professor at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. "He was recently
lieutenant governor, and we know he has a record of winning statewide. But
does he really want to do that? However, running for governor is different.
It's a higher profile. Can Louisiana stand to have him as governor and Mary
Landrieu as a U.S. senator simultaneously? That's a tough sale."

That's another reason why there has never been a worse time - in recent
history, at least - to be a Democrat in Louisiana.

WHEN STATE DEMOCRATIC LAWMAKERS CONVENED a meeting prior to Christmas to
brainstorm ways to get the party out of the muck, they gathered at an
unlikely place as the guest of party Chair Leach.

They huddled at Grosse Savanne Waterfowl and Wildlife Lodge in Cameron
Parish, which is owned by Leach. It's an impressive spread, plush even by
private hunting club standards, located on 5,000 acres of marsh brimming
with 40 duck blinds. It was the site of a fundraiser for Republican Gov.
Bobby Jindal shortly before Leach became chairman of the Louisiana
Democratic Party in January 2010. Leach, for whatever it's worth, also
contributed $1,000 to U.S. Sen. David Vitter, a Metairie Republican, in
2005. Leach told reporters last year he was merely thanking Vitter for his
support of Fort Polk.

The lodge was an appropriately odd setting for these strange times. Some
lawmakers moaned about the wheels falling off, while others questioned
whether their Republican counterparts had the winning message after all.

State Rep. Reed Henderson of Chalmette, a firebrand even in the best of
times, says many different topics were discussed, but the gathering also saw
some raw emotions in the wake of the disastrous fall elections. There, as in
recent elections, the party's greatest historical strength - its diversity -
served as a temporary hindrance.

It's only temporary, Henderson insists. Republicans probably thought they
had a mandate under President George W. Bush - until Barack Obama swept into
office. Politics is cyclical. Still, Democrats are nonetheless finding it
difficult to brand themselves.

"Organizing Democrats is like trying to herd cats. We don't stand for
anything," Henderson says. "The problem is this wide spectrum of issues and
you can't concentrate a beam on any one thing. I think the voters know what
they want. The parties don't. The people who are really controlling the
votes are the conservative middle. This country is middle-to-right, and so
is Louisiana. I think we, as Democrats, need to make some changes, because I
was born a Democrat and I plan to die a Democrat. That's just the way it
is."

Oddly enough, one "tangible" idea to come from the Grosse Savanne meeting
was a call for fresh faces - including those of some lawmakers - running for
positions on the Democratic State Central Committee. The committee runs the
state party machinery, such as it is, and it also serves as Leach's boss.

"I'll probably not only run for state representative, but also for the state
central committee," Henderson says. As for the current party administration,
Henderson adds, "I don't see any leadership there now."

The tricky part, according to another lawmaker, will be finding a way to
appeal to white voters without isolating the African-American base that has
historically stood with Democrats. In recent years, the party's treatment of
African-American candidates has drawn strong criticism. Former state Sen.
Don Cravins Jr. of Opelousas and current Sen. Lydia Jackson of Shreveport -
both of whom are black - threatened to run for Congress as non-party
candidates in 2010. Two years earlier, Rep. Michael Jackson of Baton Rouge
did just that - and helped unseat then-new Democratic U.S. Rep. Don Cazayoux
of New Roads. Cazayoux is now the U.S. Attorney in Baton Rouge, appointed by
Obama.

"This isn't going to be an easy fix, and I haven't heard a good idea on how
to do it from anyone," the lawmaker says. "It's going to take a lot of
leadership. Good leadership. And a lot of people concerned are looking to
Cedric [Richmond] to be that leader."

Richmond, a former member of the state House, managed to reclaim the New
Orleans-based congressional district for Democrats last year, with Obama's
help. He ousted one-term Republican U.S. Rep. Joseph Cao. Richmond is now
seen as a rising star - and a potential powerbroker - in the Louisiana
Democratic Party and in the African-American community.

Meanwhile, in the state House, a passel of lawmakers has made the big
switch, including Reps. Noble Ellington of Winnsboro, Simone Champagne of
Jeanerette, Walker Hines of New Orleans and Fred Mills of Parks, whom voters
promoted to the state Senate on Jan. 19. The surge in GOP legislative
strength, however, may eventually give the GOP the same headaches that
diversity has given Dems. Clearly, not all recent Republican converts are
like-minded. Alario and Ellington, for instance, were old guard Democratic
lawmakers frequently associated with the politics of former Gov. Edwin
Edwards, whom Republican stalwarts view as the essence of what's been wrong
with Louisiana for decades.

"A lot of these new Republicans aren't going to fit into the hard right,"
says Fletcher, a veteran of the presidential and gubernatorial campaign
circuits. "They all tend to be more moderate conservatives, not ideological
conservatives."

Dr. Kirby Goidel, director of LSU's Public Policy Research Lab, says recent
developments and trends put the Louisiana Democratic Party in an
uncomfortable position. The Republican converts aren't likely to come back,
he says, nor will independents (who tilted strongly toward the GOP in the
recent elections). And no one expects any Republicans to switch to the
Democratic Party any time soon.

"That means Democrats need to figure out how to recruit better. They need a
farm team," Goidel says, referring to the minor league teams owned by major
league franchises, usually as a training grounds for the big show. "If
you're a moderate right now, you're looking at the electoral landscape and
realizing that it's better to run as a Republican than as a Democrat. So,
it's better for Democrats to focus on the long view right now rather than
the short view.

There's no magical candidate out there that's going to make all of this
better."

LEACH, AN EXCITABLE FELLOW even at 76 years old, was reportedly put into the
chairmanship because he can cut a check, which is something he reportedly
has done many times for the party in recent years. Although in years past he
has contributed to Republicans as well, Leach is on Team Donkey and he
contends he has a plan.

"We have several potentials for next year's statewide elections and,
remember, Democrats did very well on the local level last year. We have the
mayors of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Monroe. That's not bad,"
Leach says. "And I think recruitment results from what we're embarking on
now, educating people and letting them know that Louisiana Democrats are
about working people, middle income families. I think from that, we'll
recruit men and women who hold these beliefs."

Leach says his office is also overseeing seminars to help Democrats run for
office and he has staffers looking into the recent voter purges on the state
level in hopes of getting folks re-registered. As for his own party
position, Leach says he plans on finishing out his current term as chairman
and isn't going anywhere.

Through no fault of his own, Leach inherited a train wreck. He took over
from Chris Whittington, a former chairman who was re-elected to a four-year
term in 2008 despite opposition from Melancon and the Landrieu siblings.
State central committee members interviewed for this story say the incident
proved there was no longer a central power base. In years past, the party's
Washington contingent - including former Sen. John Breaux - wielded
considerable influence over the party's central committee. That is no longer
the case.

It shows how rapidly the party declined, since Whittington first came to
power in 2005 - at the hands of disgraced former Agriculture Commissioner
Bob Odom and former Baton Rouge state Sen. Cleo Fields. Without argument,
Whittington would have never survived in the old days without the support of
party leaders.

These days, the wheels of the machine appear to have come completely off.

One former DSCC member says it has been a "cult of personalities," a story
that can be traced through turnover. The party burns through executive
directors - most famously Britton Loftin, who resigned in 2009 amid a sexual
harassment suit. Since 2008, there have been four communications directors.

Bob Mann, who holds an endowed chair at the Manship School of Communications
at LSU, says there needs to be a distinction between the Louisiana
Democratic Party and Louisiana Democrats.

"People need to ask what Louisiana Democrats can do to get out of this funk,
because the party itself is not in a funk," says Mann, who served as press
secretary to Breaux and later Gov. Kathleen Blanco. "It's probably better
funded than ever before. It has the most professional staff it has seen in
five or six years. Being able to get elected statewide has less to do with
the Louisiana Democratic Party and more with having a strong candidate. When
we don't have a strong candidate for Democrats to get behind, the party is
what it is now."

Whatever the party's problem area, change is needed - and soon. Louisiana
was once a one-party state with Democrats in control, then there was a brief
period of parity, and now it's all heading in the opposite direction.
Henderson, among others, stops short of proclaiming that the political sky
is falling. In fact, he insists there is no crisis; it's just a down side of
the political cycle.

"A lot of people were distraught over the fact that we got creamed,"
Henderson says. "But you know what? The Republicans got creamed two years
ago, and they came back. We can come back, too. It may just take a little
while."