[StBernard] Louisiana Redistricting Information

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 15 08:29:30 EST 2011

I had seen this earlier and if I recall there are only 2 dates available in
the metro area for meetings; one in Covington and one in New Orleans on the
same day, so I guess 1/2 day for each session. Not too convenient for SBP
or Plaquemines residents. I wonder why they didn't think of using Slidell
instead of Covington?

Louisiana Redistricting Information

The Louisiana Legislature is responsible for redrawing district
boundaries
for the U.S. House of Representatives, the Louisiana Supreme Court
and other
courts, the Public Service Commission (PSC), and the Board of
Elementary and
Secondary Education (BESE) using data from the 2010 Census

<http://www.census.gov/rdo/data/2010_census_redistricting_data_pl_94-171_sum
mary_files.html
<http://www.census.gov/rdo/data/2010_census_redistricting_data_pl_94-171_sum
%0Amary_files.html> > .

The Louisiana House of Representatives has delegated the
responsibility for
initial plan development to the House & Governmental Affairs
Committee. The
Redistricting page on the House of Representative's web site
provides a lot
of helpful resources, information, and statistics related to the
process:
http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Redistricting2011/

The House & Governmental Affairs Committee will hold a meeting at
the State
Capitol in Baton Rouge on February 15, 2011 to discuss redistricting
in
Louisiana.

Additionally, public meetings will be held throughout Louisiana
February 17
- March 1 to allow for public comment concerning the census
populations, the
deviations of existing districts from an ideal population, and
solutions for
district line drawing. A complete listing of public meetings can be
found
here:

http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Redistricting2011/NewsPDF/2011_MEETING_SCH_JOIN
T_GOVAFFAIRS.pdf
<http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Redistricting2011/NewsPDF/2011_MEETING_SCH_JOI
N%0AT_GOVAFFAIRS.pdf>

Review the following document for a general overview of the
redistricting
timeline:

http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Redistricting2011/RedistrictingTimeline_1_24_11
.pdf