[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro and Council teams with Civic and Neighborhood groups To kick off a Curb Appeal Initiative with administrative enforcement campaign: Press conference, Tues., Feb. 22 at 2 p.m.

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 16 20:53:18 EST 2011

St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro and the Parish Council teams with
Civic and Neighborhood groups

To kick off a Curb Appeal Initiative with administrative enforcement
campaign

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. has pledged his support
of a citizens' driven Curb Appeal Initiative that he will endorse at a press
conference Tuesday, February 22 when he announces the implementation of an
administrative enforcement campaign. The press conference will be at 2 p.m.
in the St. Bernard Parish Government Complex lobby at 8201 W. Judge Perez
Drive in Chalmette.

"After several months of planning and coordination with the Parks and
Parkways Commission Chairman, Honorable Howard Luna and the Commission and
Ms. Polly Campbell of the St. Bernard Community Foundation and the
neighborhood initiative movement, we are implementing a renewed quality of
life campaign with a focus on code enforcement of signage, landscaping, and
dumpster placement," President Taffaro said.

"With the support of the parish council, we have garnered support of the
business community and neighborhood groups alike to commit to a
comprehensive campaign designed to gain compliance through community
buy-in," Taffaro said. "As you know, code enforcement becomes much more
effective when there is community buy-in and voluntary compliance. With
this program, our area supervisors will now have business leaders and civic
groups assisting in self-policing of these quality of life standards. We
certainly do not expect that this will eliminate violations, but the
community based initiative will accomplish more than what parish government
can do alone."

Luna of the St. Bernard Parks and Parkways Commission, who also is a Justice
of the Peace, and Campbell, director of the St. Bernard Community Foundation
Neighborhood Initiatives, helped spearhead this as a grass roots effort to
get community groups and citizens to support parish government's enforcement
of good codes as well as to do their part to help improve the parish's curb
appeal on an individual level.

Luna and Campbell said the parish has made so much progress in terms of
building new roads, parks and improving our infrastructure since Katrina.
Now it's time to focus on what people see every day.

"We believe the look of our major thoroughfares has a lot to do with our
ability to attract new families into the many homes that are available for
sale and rent," Campbell said. "Enforcing our codes keep an attractive look
about a community and guides you as to what you can and cannot do with your
property."

Campbell said this announcement about the Curb Appeal Initiative and the
administrative enforcement campaign by Taffaro "is part of a big movement
and a big initiative to put the icing on the cake with all of the new
infrastructure, new buildings and new schools." Campbell said the St.
Bernard Community Foundation will provide tools and workshops for local
neighborhood organizations to do their part. It will include organizing
volunteer efforts such as the ongoing tree planting program on Judge Perez
Drive from Arabi to Violet that organizers hope to expand to Paris Road and
St. Bernard Highway.

For more information, call the President's Office at 504-278-4227, Luna at
504-908-8880 or Campbell at 504-554-7134.

###

________________________________

If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager.
individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender
immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete
this email from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are

St. Bernard Parish Government
8201 West Judge Perez Drive
Chalmette, Louisiana 70043 USA
www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net>

WARNING: Although St. Bernard Parish Government has taken reasonable
precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, St. Bernard
Parish Government cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage
arising from the use of this email or attachments.