[StBernard] Drug suspect in Arabi shot last night

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 20 22:49:34 EST 2011

Drug suspect in Arabi shot last night
Reported by: Natasha Robin, Reporter
Email: nrobin at fox8tv.net
Contributor: Jim Pennison, Photographer
Last Update: 2/19 12:07 am

A drug suspect is shot during an investigation

St. Bernard - A narcotics investigation in an Arabi neighborhood turned into
a shooting Thursday night.

A St. Bernard narcotics units was at the 300 block of Perrin Drive to arrest
21 year-old Anthony Segari, a suspected a marijuana dealer.

However, just before they were about to move in on a house, a drug deal
unfolded right in front of them, police say.

Sheriff Jack Stephens with the St. Bernard Sheriff's Department said a car
pulled up in front of the house, and Segari's mother, Sharon Amie, came
running out of the house to the car.

"We pulled the person away from the passenger side of the vehicle," said
Stephens. "And another agent entered the front seat of the vehicle in an
attempt to remove the keys from the ignition. His weapon was drawn."

According to Stephens, 31 year- old Courtney Gary was in the car. Gary went
for the deputy's gun and Stephens said the gun was discharged, a bullet
struck Gary in the head.

"We're dealing with someone in Mr. Gary's instance who has a lengthy
criminal record. In fact, he is currently serving probation until 2014 on
possession of cocaine charges and that was in the city of New Orleans,"
Stephens said.

Timmy Riley, who lives just two houses away from the crime scene said life
in St. Bernard is changing.

"I mean, when did you ever see that kind of shooting in St. Bernard," Riley
asks, "It doesn't happen, it didn't happen, especially in this area."

Riley blames it on an influx of criminals from New Orleans who are dealing
in the parish.
"This is a neighborhood we come to get away from all of that. And now it's
coming and it's just a matter of time to see how bad it's going to get,"
Riley said.
Stephens says his narcotics agents have always been aggressive when it comes
to busting the bad guys.

"This criminal community that we deal with in the metro area doesn't pay
attention to jurisdictional boundaries," said Stephens.

The sheriff says there is an uptick in crime in St. Bernard, but he believes
staying on top of the problem is key to keeping the parish safe.