[StBernard] MIXED LOW INCOME APTS

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 25 09:35:05 EST 2011

Debby, I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find that facebook page. Grrrr.

Is there anyway you could just reply and paste the actual link?

I've found St. Bernard citizens against Murphy, something with a church in
NJ, and
something with police, but nothing with your group.

Thanks,
JY

As one of the few at the first meeting to establish a citizens group
investigate the "side steps" of Provident Developers, I would like
to share
my understanding of the current matter with others. First, it was
the
citizens group that brought the wetlands issue to the attention of
the media
and parish government. The parish did not until forced to review our
findings. Furthermore, the developers' previous permit expired when
they
failed to start construction within the specified period (tax
credits no
longer applied). Meanwhile the Council re-zoned the area from R-3
multi-familty to C-1 commercial. Now with tax credits for Provident
once
again (our President) decided to pick up where they left off. When
protests
arose, Judge Ginger Berrigan ordered the permits be "renewed". What?
No new
application for zoning change. Rather than a hearing, Judge Berrigan
bypassed and made a ruling. She has basically stated this is a
racial issue
in her opinion. Provident apparently does not have to follow the
rules that
you and I would. This is special treatment by big business once
again.
Provident has done this in other cities and once tax credits are
received,
they're long gone. Also, why hasn't Judge Berrigan addressed the
Appeal that
was filed regarding the zoning. It is still pending to my knowledge.

There are numerous issues to be addressed in this matter and it is
NOT about
race but simply about following the rules for ALL of us not to
mention the
fact that our rental market is saturated and there are many
available
rentals with public assistance options.

I am keeping an email list but it is becoming overwhelming. We post
info on
facebook page: St Bernard Citizens Against Sites Information Page
(its easy
to create a facebook with any nickname you like if you dont want our
name
out there). Also, posts are being made under nola.com, Forums, St.
Bernard.

Presently, citizens in Lacombe are fighting a waste transfer
station, Mid
City residents are having their homes severely damage by VA
construction and
previously N.O. East groups fought and won their opposition to the
same type
of apt complexes which are being shoved down our throats. Please
don't sit
back and say it will never stop the apts and do nothing. We have the
freedom
and luxury of organizing and investigating what we believe is wrong.

Our meetings have grown and more citizens support is needed for our
RIGHTS
AS CITIZENS. Please support us with your voice and presence.

Lastly, many thanks to Judy Giglio and Dana Arcement for their
extensive
work and devotion to this cause.

Debby Lambert Rosenberger