[StBernard] Curb Appeal Initiative Kicked Off: Citizen-based campaign to focus on self-policing quality of life codes in support of government's efforts

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 1 09:13:30 EST 2011

Curb Appeal Initiative Kicked Off

Citizen-based campaign to focus on self-policing quality of life codes in
support of government's efforts

After months of planning, St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro, Parks
and Parkways Commission Chairman Howard Luna and St. Bernard Community
Foundation Director of Neighborhood Initiatives Polly Campbell kicked off a
renewed quality of life campaign at a recent press conference.

With the government's focus on code enforcement for signage, landscaping,
and dumpster placement along major thoroughfares this initiative, coupled
with the support of business, community and civic leadership groups, will
set a higher standard that will affect St. Bernard's "curb appeal" on a
daily basis.

"The recent launching of the new Curb Appeal initiative lead by parish
government, the Parks and Parkways Commission, and the Neighborhood
Initiatives Program of the St. Bernard Foundation is a partnership within
our community that links government and non-government partners in a focused
effort to raise the bar in how we present and maintain the highways and
byways of St. Bernard Parish," Taffaro said.

Howard Luna shared with the more than 30 community leaders who attended that
"it is time to focus on creating the look of the neighborhoods and streets
that we all aspire to live on... It's time for us to step up to the plate
and follow good codes."

Polly Campbell echoed that, calling on leaders and community members to join
together as a team willing to support code enforcement. "When illegal and
abandoned signs are cited, government is going to experience some push back
and we must be ready to stand in support of their efforts," she said.

Luna and Campbell pointed to volunteer efforts which have already begun to
replace missing oak trees along Judge Perez Drive and other major
thoroughfares.

Taffaro commended the many neighborhood groups represented as well as Gulf
Coast bank, the location of the press conference, which is code compliant
with their landscaping, signage and dumpsters at both commercial locations.

Taffaro, Campbell and Luna stressed that the Curb Appeal campaign will
depend on self-policing.

"It may seem frivolous to enforce dumpsters being behind fencing, or
business signs being in compliance, or landscaping being part of buildings,
but as we already know, 'If you want to feel good, you have to look good.'
This type of commitment from the government team has been present but never
as powerful as when it is supported by the public."

Luna agreed.

"This is just the first step for us," he said.

"One of the things we do well in St. Bernard is work as a team," said
Campbell. "We're willing to stand behind the government's enforcement."

Taffaro, Campbell and Luna said it is critical that residents, businesses,
and agencies know that highway signage, dumpsters, and landscaping do make a
difference and everyone must contribute to meeting the new standards.

"The changes that will come as a result of this initiative will not be easy
but the return on this investment will keep St. Bernard at the leading edge
of community redevelopment in the Gulf Coast region and illustrate that
sense of pride that has been renewed and strengthened in every house
rebuilt, every project completed, and every step taken in bringing St.
Bernard back," Taffaro said.

Representatives from the St. Bernard Parish Chamber, Economic Development
Commission,

School Board, St. Bernard Community Foundation, Kiwanis Club, Parks and
Parkways Commission, several neighborhoods and Compliance staff
enthusiastically signed a large scale copy of the curb appeal letter showing
their support for this effort. Gulf Coast bank graciously provided the
setting for this important step forward. To join the efforts, neighborhood
leaders and residents are asked to contact the President's Office at
504-278-4227, Campbell at 554-7134 or Luna at 908-8880.

###