[StBernard] Putting the Brakes on $4.00 Gas at the Pump

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 8 18:09:49 EST 2011

Dear Friend,

Like you, I remember the strain of $4.00 a gallon gas from little more than
two years ago in 2008. Well, here we are again not too far in the future and
rapid gas price increases are right around the corner.

The unrest in the Middle East should really clarify for the administration
that we can no longer remain dependent on foreign oil, especially from
countries run by bad actors like Muammar Gaddafi. Unfortunately, the
administration seems stubbornly resolute to halt American domestic energy
production in its tracks to appease their seemingly radical environmentalist
agenda.

The administration has even stated
<http://www.politico.com/blogs/politicolive/0311/White_House_considers_tappi
ng_oil_reserves.html> that they'd rather see a Middle East country like
Saudi Arabia increase their production of crude oil - instead of us here in
America. Ironically, the administration finally agrees that increasing
supply is at the heart of solving our energy problem. Unfortunately, the
administration seems to want to create jobs in Saudi Arabia by asking them
to increase their oil production, instead of creating good energy sector
jobs here at home and working to free us from dependence on imported oil.

<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&V
ideo_id=e2e5579c-b827-f63b-f7d4-d7369fc5c446&PageNum=1>

Watch video of floor speech on increasing domestic supply
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=96674796-91ae-d0be-ca91-6a43be4faae7&PageNum=1>

I'm introducing new legislation soon that will reduce our dependence on
foreign oil - from countries like Libya and Saudi Arabia - by finally
unshackling our own domestic energy sector from excessive regulation, while
also directing a portion of those revenues to continued funding for
alternative and renewable resources. Renewables and alternative fuels may
be the future, but only our current administration has fooled itself into
thinking these potential alternative fuels are right around the corner. We
need our traditional energy sources as a bridge so that we do not have to be
dependent on foreign sources and vulnerable to sudden price fluctuations
caused by uncontrollable world events.

Arguably the most important benefit of my bill it would put many more
Americans back to work than any of the other "job creation" plans Congress
has voted on, while also reducing our federal and trade deficits.

I recently met with Michael Bromwich, Director of the Bureau of Ocean Energy
Management, Regulation and Enforcement (formerly MMS), to discuss the de
facto drilling moratorium that's killing our offshore energy economy. I
wish my meeting with Director Bromwich had been more fruitful, but he
basically just repeated the administration's talking point that there is no
de facto drilling moratorium in the Gulf. And just recently, the Interior
Department made great fanfare out of issuing one new drilling permit...one.

On February 16, 2011, I met with Bromwich in my office in Washington D.C.

Until the administration responds to my repeated requests to start issuing
at least 15 new exploratory permits, I've decided to block two of Obama's
key nominations for administration positions: Scott Doney, Obama's nominee
to be NOAA chief scientist and Dan Ashe, President Obama's nominee to head
the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the Department of the Interior.

The Interior Department's de facto moratorium has destroyed jobs in
Louisiana, contributed to the bankruptcy of at least one major employer and
could force all Louisianians to have to pay for $4.00 per gallon gasoline.

None of us want to see $4.00 a gallon gas again, and a simple resolution
starts right here in Louisiana, off our coast.

Sincerely,

David Vitter
United States Senator