[StBernard] Greater New Orleans Region to Develop Sustainable Integrated Water Management Strategy

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 23 09:49:39 EDT 2011

Greater New Orleans Region to Develop Sustainable Integrated Water
Management Strategy

Strategy announced in conjunction with World Water Day 2011

NEW ORLEANS -- Today, Greater New Orleans, Inc. announced that Waggonner &
Ball Architects, APC will be awarded the contract to develop the
Comprehensive, Sustainable Integrated Water Management Strategy for St.
Bernard Parish and the east banks of Orleans and Jefferson Parishes for
storm water, waste water, ground water, flood control, water infrastructure,
public rights of way, and other public properties.

The funding to execute the program is provided through a $2 million
Comprehensive Resiliency Program award from the Louisiana Office of
Community Development-Disaster Recovery Unit (OCD-DRU) and the U.S.
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to GNO, Inc.

"Many areas in St. Bernard Parish and the east banks of Orleans and
Jefferson parishes depend on a large-scale pumping system susceptible to
failure even during normal rainfall, resulting in flooding that divides
these neighborhoods," said Paul Rainwater, Louisiana Commissioner of
Administration. "Additional threats, such as subsidence and rising sea
levels, also contribute to the need for a solution-based approach to an
integrated water management strategy that is vital to the continued
recovery, growth, and development of the region."

GNO, Inc. invited experienced, multi-disciplinary teams to submit proposals
for this initiative through a competitive bidding process that included a
selection committee consisting of parish officials and experts in
engineering, planning and design, community engagement, environmental
sustainability, and flood protection.

"Due to the geography and topography of the Greater New Orleans region,
water management is an important issue for businesses and residents in our
area," said Michael Hecht, President and CEO of GNO, Inc. "Waggonner & Ball
has proven experience in research, interpretation and modeling, policy,
infrastructure, design, and implementation. We expect the consultant team to
produce a valuable and implementable strategy based on international best
practices, and we congratulate them for earning this contract."

The announcement coincides with the 19th annual World Water Day. Held each
year on March 22, World Water Day focuses attention on the importance of
freshwater and advocates for the sustainable management of freshwater
resources. The theme for 2011 is "Water for Cities: Responding to the Urban
Challenge." The United Nations General Assembly designated March 22, 1993 as
the first World Water Day.

"It is critical that the Greater New Orleans region has a comprehensive
water management plan that can mitigate risk while enhancing economic
opportunities and improving the quality of life for our citizens," said
Senator Mary Landrieu. "We are fortunate to have a dream team in place to do
this important work. Waggonner & Ball has extensive expertise in water
management gleaned from projects that span the globe, and GNO, Inc. is
uniquely positioned to manage the process efficiently."

"We offer our support to Waggonner & Ball in developing a wide-ranging
approach to effective water management and planning in order to protect our
precious natural resource," said Jefferson Parish President John Young. "We
are committed to open, transparent and collaborative input and improving the
overall quality of life for all our citizens."

"New Orleans is the most immediate laboratory for innovation in America, so
it is appropriate that this initiative will look to the entrepreneurship of
our people to find new solutions to systemic water management challenges,"
said New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu. "It's important for our safety and
quality of life."

"Having the proper water management strategy is a critical issue for St.
Bernard and beyond," said St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr.
"I look forward to working in cooperation with Waggonner & Ball in any way
needed. This initiative will fit very nicely into the parishes' land-use
planning and long-term alternate use concepts of our drainage waterways.
Finding ways to use our water ways as assets is a part of changing the
approach to water management as a whole for St. Bernard Parish and the
metropolitan area."

With the implementation of the Water Management Strategy, GNO, Inc. has the
following goals:

* Reduce flood hazards to people and property
* Use storm water as a resource
* Increase flexibility and adaptive water management capacity
* Enable better ground water management and minimize soil subsidence
* Reduce costs, energy use, and emissions of water management
infrastructure
* Protect and improve environmental quality and sustainability, and
well being of open water and habitats

An effective Water Management Strategy will also accrue public benefits,
increase quality of life, incorporate sustainability and environmental
concerns, and provide a platform for economic growth.

"We are honored to be selected to develop a Water Management Strategy for
the Greater New Orleans region," said J. David Waggonner, III, FAIA,
Waggonner & Ball President. "The Royal Netherlands Embassy and the American
Planning Association have been key partners in our approach, and we look
forward to working with our team of local, national, and international
collaborators. Water can be New Orleans' greatest asset, and the Water
Management Strategy will provide a process by which to re-imagine our
region's relationship to this fundamental resource."

Waggonner & Ball is a highly respected architectural and planning firm with
30 years of experience working in the Greater New Orleans region. Waggonner
& Ball will be responsible for reporting to GNO, Inc. on the progress of the
project through completion. GNO, Inc. will manage the implementation of the
grant with the support and guidance of an Advisory Council consisting of
representatives from Jefferson, Orleans, and St. Bernard parishes, as well
as experts in the fields of water management, design, planning, and
community engagement.

###

About Greater New Orleans, Inc.

The GNO, Inc. Mission is to serve as the catalyst for wealth creation in the
Greater New Orleans region. GNO, Inc. will accomplish this by pursuing an
aggressive agenda of business development - marketing the region - and
product development - improving regional business conditions through policy,
workforce and research initiatives.

The GNO, Inc. Vision is for the Greater New Orleans region to fulfill its
potential as one of the best places in the country to grow a company, and
raise a family. The ultimate indication of success for GNO, Inc. will be the
presence of a robust and growing middle class in southeastern Louisiana.

More information can be found at www.gnoinc.org
<http://emarketing.mudbugmedia.com/c/13614881/203/tNztCII/lBUw?redirect_to=h
ttp%3A%2F%2Femarketing.mudbugmedia.com%2Fc%2F%2F%2F%2F%3Fredirect_to%3Dhttp%
253A%252F%252Fwww.gnoinc.org> .