[StBernard] St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro issued a Cease and Desist order Friday ordering all work on the four apartment complexes be stopped

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 8 16:32:01 EDT 2011

St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro issued a Cease and Desist order Friday
ordering all work on the four apartment complexes be stopped

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. has issued a Cease and
Desist order Friday ordering all contractors and subcontractors working on
the four apartment complexes being built by Provident Realty in Chalmette to
stop working because they don't have proper parish permits.

"I have attempted to work within the judicial parameters, but St. Bernard
Parish has continued to find itself without protective due process,"
President Taffaro said. "The permitting process by local and state law is
clear, and my decision to issue a Cease and Desist is in line with the
enforcement of that process. A week ago, we filed for an emergency
injunction which was denied pending a hearing set for today, April 8, in
state court. That hearing was cancelled due to a legal maneuver filed by
Provident in furtherance of what I believe to be a strategic approach to
delaying St. Bernard Parish's right to be heard long enough that the
construction of these developments reaches a point of no return."

###