[StBernard] VETO

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Apr 30 18:44:53 EDT 2011

Dear Friends -

We kicked off the legislative session Monday by highlighting economic
successes, and the fact that they were made possible by our work to cut
taxes and get government bureaucracy out of the way of businesses.

This commitment to keeping our economy growing to create more jobs is why,
as the American Press
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7790%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=kgBMAHPBTWnE2KMRUbrgBQ&sysid=1> reported, I will veto any tax
increase that comes to my desk.

Why? Because tax increases kill jobs and opportunity. They hurt economic
development, our ability to attract new businesses to Louisiana, and people
who want to start a small business. Fundamentally, tax increases say that
government needs and deserves more of the people's money. That is just dead
wrong. We have had folks proposing to raise income taxes, gasoline taxes,
hospital taxes and many other taxes, and we will oppose all such proposals.

I also had the opportunity to address the Zurich Classic's Louisiana Forward
Economic Summit Tuesday, where I spoke on the state of our economic growth.
As the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7791%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=QHeARY29wteUoQgS46Qdlg&sysid=1> reported, we are committed to
creating a predictable, business friendly environment that gives financial
security to firms looking to grow here.

Together, we will continue to keep Louisiana growing and leave more for our
children than we inherited from the generation before us.

Governor Bobby Jindal