[StBernard] Flood Fights

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 7 11:14:16 EDT 2011

Dear Friends -

Over the course of the next few weeks we expect to see the Mississippi River
rise to historical levels and that's why we are taking action right now to
protect our people's lives, property and livelihoods.

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/2011-5-6.gif>
Just as we do when a hurricane is headed towards us, we hope for the best
and prepare for the worst. That's why we've activated the National Guard to
assist state and parish efforts for potential flooding. The National Guard
will be on the ground to support levee inspection and reinforcement and they
are also providing vehicles to help move supplies.

We've been traveling the state to inspect the flood management system and
meet with local officials to ensure folks have the resources they need to
win this flood fight. As the Monroe News-Star
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7710%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=uanSRYgs80Ttw6y8b6uIuQ&sysid=1> reported, we spent yesterday
surveying the levee protecting the northern half of the state, touching down
in Vidalia, Tallulah and Lake Providence to meet with local officials there.

While this will be a marathon, I've got no doubt we will win this fight. Our
people are persistent and no matter what challenge we face, we always come
back stronger and better than before.

We also continue to aggressively push our legislative package and our bills
to keep Louisiana growing, which are advancing in the Legislature. On
Wednesday, I had the opportunity to testify before the House Education
Committee in support of our bill to merge SUNO and UNO and create a better
system for our students. I'm happy to report that the committee approved the
proposal and the bill will continue to move through the process as we work
to improve the higher education system in New Orleans. As the Associated
Press
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7711%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=qco%2btOZCOCMTYP%2bhrK%2bhxQ&sysid=1> reported, I told lawmakers
that the status quo is not acceptable and this bill is a chance to improve
education for our students and make history.

Governor Bobby Jindal