[StBernard] St. Bernard officials say levees strong enough to withstand rising river

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 12 08:41:42 EDT 2011

St. Bernard officials say levees strong enough to withstand rising river

Last Update: 5/11 7:28 pm

St. Bernard Parish officials say their levee system is strong enough to
withstand the rising river, even if the Morganza Spillway doesn't open.

As dishes were served up at Rocky and Carlo's restaurant, in the background
were visual reminders of the nearby rising Mississippi that's now raising
residents fears .

"I'm concerned it's going to overflow into the city. When I read the paper
this morning that was scary. I don't need to go through what I went through
before," said resident Elaine Morlier.

"If a barge hits the levee or the ferry accidentally breaks something, that
water would flood this whole area out," said Tomy Tommaseo, the owner of
Rocky and Carlos restaurant.

Already there are signs of the rain swollen river getting closer, especially
on the riverside of the Chalmette refinery where water now covers what was
just recently dry land. But flood protection officials say there is no need
to worry about the river overtopping the 19 feet levees.

"We have information from the Corps of Engineers from what the river will be
cresting . We do not see any over topping of the Mississippi levees," said
Stu Williamson, the Executive Director of the Lake Borgne Basin Levee
District.

As for weak seepage spots in the flood protection system, they point to sand
filled Hesco baskets in place, such as the location near the Chalmette ferry
landing, to help reduce pressure on the levee.

Protecting the levees from out of control barges are also key to the plan.
They say they are tracking all river traffic.

"The very moment any vessel begins to go near shore, they immediately
dispatch the security forces to handle the event and make sure they maintain
the appropriate distance," said David Dysart, the Director of the St.
Bernard Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Department.

They say they've also met with refinery officials to go over the emergency
plants at the chemical plants. St. Bernard residents are keeping close watch
hope their local leaders are correct, that the rising river won't bring
another disaster this way. Residents are urged to stay off the levee and
report any seepage problems to the St. Bernard Sheriff's office.