[StBernard] SCAM: Phony malware alert!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 12 10:48:50 EDT 2011

Correct, John. As a huge collector of viri (virus) and spyware since the
early 90's, spoofing and phishing are quite a distraction. Some adware can
be placed on webpages and messaging (including graphics in webpage source
code as little as a pixel) can be triggered with little or no intervention
from the victim. Many popups can occur without a URL/address box present
and be triggered by anything from using a structured graphic (ie. "Close or
exit" or "ok" buttons of which links are provided to be then transported to
malicious sites.

One should never click on popups in any way but utilize the close most
active window (foreground) as Westley pointed out with the ALT-F4), OR
close out that windows with the windows task manager command of
Ctrl-Alt-Delete/3-finger salute).

I've designed a very quick exit to the Internet as a choice as well (when
one doesn't know how to separate themselves to logging off the Internet
(Open Network share center icon in lower right corner of the
Notification/status bar area by right-clicking and selecting it and/or
disable it briefly for wireless/wired). I've added a RJ45 cable to a rj45
COUPLER:
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=rj45+COUPLER&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-12&form=QBR

..which allows me to quick disconnect from the net by unclipping the RJ45
network cable. A network cable goes from the network card (socket on back
of computer or back/side of laptop) to the coupler. Then from the wall, the
original RJ45 network cable is plugged in (or from a router to the
computer).

This way, a disconnect can help prevent the malicious viri/virus from
bypassing systems with little security or firewall (on systems with older
OpSys protection with no bi-directional incoming/outgoing actions) from
sending back info once into the system.

Yes, it's widely known that to many, giving a call to action (we can protect
you vs. the virus with software duping) and will redirect you away to buy
their goods/service or have a printer in some part of the world to print out
your personal info on your computer.

There's really more to it that we've ever discussed, but there are
suspicious actions that are tuned to our common sense as much as there are
in the real world beyond computers.

--jer--