[StBernard] community project - help needed

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 13 00:53:10 EDT 2011

As many of you know, we have been busy restoring the old Prince of Peace
rectory as the new Arc Community Center. This center will serve a VERY
under-served population of our parish and the surrounding region - adults
with intellectual disabilities. Many of these adults have returned to their
homes since Katrina but have found few social, recreational and employment
opportunities. The projected opening of the center is August 2011!

We need YOUR help in a couple of ways:

1. If you know of a family with an adult with intellectual disabilities in
need of services (perhaps they attended the Schindler Center prior to
Katrina), please invite them to attend a Meet & Greet on July 18 from
10am-noon at the new Arc Community Center. They may also call Tom Barnes at
Arc's office - 837-5140.

2. We are planning a fall fundraiser in the style of the old "Anything Goes"
dinners. (Monies are needed to begin work on Sterling Hall and the
surrounding gardens.) If you would like to help plan or "wait" tables,
please let me know ASAP. (The dinner will be held on Oct. 6 with a limited
number of tables of 8 at $40 per.)

This center could have been located elsewhere but we worked hard to find a
location in St. Bernard knowing we could count on great support and
participation. One day my 14 year old son, Alex, will attend this center
with fellow graduates and new friends. I am thrilled to be a part of
building a facility and program today that will affect his life and that of
so many others for YEARS to come.

Please be a part of this effort by volunteering or by making a donation
specifically to the Arc's Chalmette Community Center. There's still a lot of
work to do!

Thank you,
Polly Campbell
Arc Volunteer