[StBernard] St. Bernard needs to end losing battle: Kim Chatelain

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 19 08:46:36 EDT 2011

Again the Times-Picayune gets it wrong - as usual. They think the people of
St. Bernard's opposition to this mixed income development (i.e. Section 8)
is based on race. That's obvious from Ms. Chatelain's very first sentence
using Judge Leander Perez as a basis her in article to describe St. Bernard
parish. Strange how progressive always jump immediately to the race card.
What's really odd here is I'm old enough to where I can't remember a single
incident taking place when forced integration in St. Bernard schools and
public places. But just across the parish lines, where the Times-Picayune
and Judge Berrigan are, I can recall U.S. Marshalls having to escort black
children to school under threat of violence from white, angry racists. That
never happened here.

What Ms. Chatelain and Judge Berrigan do not realize is we in St. Bernard
could care less about race. What we do care about is crime. Yes, crime -
and notice there is no particular color implied by the word "crime."
However, the word "crime does imply a particular waste - trash. White
trash, black trash - it's all same to good, law abiding citizens. So what
we in St. Bernard do have a prejudice on is trash - and that inevitably
leads to crime. And this time there are statistics to back up what I say.
Besides, ever heard of a mixed-income/Section 8 development to enhance a
community and result in lower crime figures? Just go ask the St. Bernard
Sheriff's Office how often they had to respond to the Village Square
development.

Provident has bragged about how nice their developments look and that they
even construct first rate security parameters around their development. Of
course, no one with Provident has ever made it clear if they go to such
security lengths to keep people from getting in or getting out. If they can
assure me it's the latter, then I might start to feel differently about
their development.

So, Ms. Chatelain, Judge Berrigan, please don't play the race card. Yes, we
know you are both liberal, progressives and you just can't help yourself to
play such a card, but still, in the very least acknowledge the truth - that
what people in St. Bernard parish are really concerned about is crime.
Don't muddy the debate with color and racial history. As Detective Joe
Friday would say, "just stick to the facts, maam."