[StBernard] Search for missing 12 year old girl

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 19 09:54:28 EDT 2011

Search for missing 12 year old girl
Reported by: Natasha Robin, Reporter
Email: nrobin at fox8tv.net
Last Update: 7/18 11:06 pm

Search for missing 12 year old girl continues

The search for a missing 12 year old little girl is massive and hi-tech in
the murky waterways of Shell Beach.

"We currently have water assets, including Saint Bernard, St. Tammany
Wildlife and Fisheries and some members of the Navy" says Chief Deputy Jimmy
Pohlmann

12 year old Samantha Vinturella was thrown from a 15 foot boat Saturday
evening when it collided with a 20 foot boat, about a half a mile from
Campo's Marina. Vinturella was one of four young girls tossed from the
vessel. Three of the girls were quickly rescued by a passing boat, but
Vinturella has not been found.

"Your child goes out to enjoy the waters and I heard that they had just
bought a brand new boat. They were going out to have a fun day like
everybody does and we take that for granted sometimes " says Fred Everhardt

Since the accident, the search has grown and continued around the clock,
despite dark skies and at times, rain. Navy Seals, Cadaver Dogs and even a
command post has been set up in the water.

"The canal is situated between MRGO and Lake Borne and this canal pushes a
lot of volume of water in and out. The possibility of the juvenile reaching
Lake Borne is a great possibility " says Pohlmann

The accident is still under investigation, but this is the second serious
boat collision that's happened in the past four weeks.

"We have tight bayous and narrow bayous that come in. The boats are getting
faster and smaller. We need to step back and look at what we can do to stop
this." Says Everhardt

Councilman Fred Everhardt says he wants signs posted, warning boaters about
sharp turns and blind spots in the bayous, meanwhile, the search for
Vinturella continues. Those involved in the search say as time passes, their
rescue mission is turning into recovery.