[StBernard] St. Tammany Millage Information

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jul 29 00:14:16 EDT 2011

General Information

As you may know, it is that time of year when millage increase votes are
being considered at local parish entity meetings. Several constituents have
inquired about how millages work, and I wanted to address that in this
newsletter as well as discuss upcoming meetings and recent actions on
millages that affect our area.

When discussing millage rates, some key terms are important to understand.

Ad Valorem: according to the value. Taxes are assesed a dollar amount
according to property value.

Adjusted Maximum Millage: maximum authorized millage as adjusted by
reassessment

Maximum Authorized Levy: maximum millage rate that may be levied in a
tax year

Mill: 1/10 (one-tenth) of one cent

Reassessment: process mandated by the Louisiana Constitution to revalue
all property subject to taxation

Roll Forward: increasing the millage rate after reassessment to a rate
not in excess of the "prior year's

minimum"

Reappraisel/ Reassessment takes place every four years and mandates the
adjustment of ad valorem taxes either up or down depending on property
value. If during reassessment there is a decrease in taxable property
value, the millage rate will be increased so that the same dollar amount
will be received as the previous year. If there is an increase in taxable
value, millage rates will decrease so that the same dollar amount will be
received as the previous year. If the taxable property value stays the same,
no adjustments to the millage rates will be made.

For further general information on how millage rates work, please click here
<http://www.lla.state.la.us/userfiles/file/SettingMillageRates.pdf> .

Local Upcoming Meetings

Fire Protection District 4 will be holding a meeting on August 16, 2011 at
6:30 pm at the Fire Station located at 709 Girod Street in Mandeville. The
district is requesting a millage increase of $467,190 for additional
equipment.

The St. Tammany Parish Assessor's Office will hold a meeting at 11:00am on
August 23, 2011 at the Assessor's Office, 701 N. Columbia Street in
Covington. Here
<http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/07/st_tammany_parish_assessor_r
et.html> is an article discussing the announcement made that the Assessor
will keep her millage rate the same.

St. Tammany Fire District 3 is requesting voters to renew a 25 millage rate
for 10 years starting in 2013. The vote will be held on October 22, 2011.
The Fire District previously decreased its millage.

Already Voted on Millage Rates

Below I have listed millages that have already been decided on this year as
well as links to articles for further information.

St. Tamany Parish Fire District 1
<http://www.slidellsentry.com/articles/2011/07/22/news/doc4e28b07d102c924486
9396.txt> rolled up one mill, bringing them to 30 mills. Their meeting was
held on July 19.

On July 5, the Northshore Harbor Center's
<http://www.thesttammanynews.com/articles/2011/07/08/news/doc4e1634448fad180
4606082.txt> board voted to decrease their millage rate.

The millage rate for the St. Tammany Parish Schools
<http://www.slidellsentry.com/articles/2011/05/11/news/doc4dc57ab5a6e3b99522
9031.txt> was voted on May 5, 2011, and it was decided that the millage
will stay the same. They have rolled back 19 mills since 1992.

In closing...

I hope all of you are enjoying these summer months. My son Vance certainly
is...

<http://image01.netatlantic.com/pr3/215/vance1-1.jpg>
<http://image01.netatlantic.com/pr3/215/vance2.jpg>

<http://pr3.netatlantic.com/db/3477220/12923361/1.gif>