[StBernard] Violet man gets 80 years for killing 2 men outside bar

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jul 31 23:16:29 EDT 2011

That's good to know. I wasn't aware of that provision Westley. When it's a
crime like this where the thug obviously intended to go back and harm
someone it's good to know he's not going to be walking out soon.

JY

The good thing here is that manslaughter is considered a "crime of
violence"
under R.S. 14:2
(http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78337), this
means he will have to serve a minimum of 85% of his sentence, or 68
years
(R.S. 571.3.(1) -

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=760095).

At lunch the other day, one of Lafourche Parish judges was speaking
about a
case he was going to have to issue a sentence on in which the thug
was even
worse than this one. The interesting thing I learned is that no one
walks
out of Angola alive. No one gets sent to Angola unless there is an
expectation that you will not live out your prison sentence.

According to the Judge, who took a tour of Angola once, he said the
Warden
has such control over the prisoners there, even the ones on Death
Row, that
the Warden had made a comment that Angola is one of the few prisons
in the
U.S. where a walk down Death Row doesn't require you to dress out is
haz-mat
suits. The prisoners do not throw food or spit or anything of that
nature.

Another interesting thing I learned, Louisiana was the fourth state
in the
union to adopt an early release program, way back in 1842
(https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/Abstract.aspx?id=52481).

Westley