[StBernard] Jaylynn Bergeron Turner plans to enter race for St. Bernard Parish assessor

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Aug 17 09:02:52 EDT 2011

Jaylynn Bergeron Turner plans to enter race for St. Bernard Parish assessor

Published: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 6:30 PM

By Times-Picayune Staff

Jaylynn Bergeron Turner has announced her candidacy for St. Bernard Parish
assessor in the fall elections.

Turner, a lifelong St. Bernard Parish resident, worked for 13 years in the
parish clerk of court's office and for five years in the office of Assessor
Marlene Vinsanau, who is not seeking re-election.

In a news release announcing her candidacy, Turner promised to use her
experience to continue Vinsanau's efforts "to bring efficient, professional
and personal service" to the parish. She promised to use technological
advances "to create transparency for the residents of St. Bernard Parish and
all other related and interested parties."

Turner, a licensed Realtor, said she "knows the importance of 24-hour
accessibility to the vital records entrusted to the assessor."

She said she wants voters "to know she is not a lawyer nor a career
politician, but is the one and only candidate with both a real estate
background and the hands-on experience in the assessor's office." This is
Turner's first bid for public office.

"I have been overwhelmed by the encouragement, the enthusiasm and the
outpouring of support that I have received before and since my decision to
become a candidate for the assessor's office," Turner said in a news release
announcing her candidacy. "I promise to continue to do the best job possible
to serve the people of St. Bernard Parish, the place that I love and have
called home all of my life."

Turner lives in Meraux and is married to Patrick J. Turner. They have two
children.

The election is Oct. 22. A runoff, if necessary, will be Nov. 19.