[StBernard] Events in St. Bernard Parish Commemorate Katrina's 6th Anniversary: Commemorative Ceremony Sun., Aug. 28 at 7:30 a.m.

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 26 08:30:33 EDT 2011

Community Events in St. Bernard Parish Commemorate

6th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

Annual Commemorative Service to be Sunday, August 28 at 7:30 a.m. at Katrina
Memorial

St. Bernard Parish Government will hold its 6th annual Hurricane Katrina
Commemorative Ceremony at the Katrina Memorial Monument in Shell Beach at
the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet. The event to remember the 163 St. Bernard
residents who lost their lives due to Katrina will be Sunday, August 28 at
7:30 a.m.

"As we approach the sixth year of commemorating Hurricane Katrina, I would
like to again take the opportunity to acknowledge the many residents,
business owners, responders, and volunteers for their commitment to St.
Bernard Parish," St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said.
"We have said for some time now that there is much to be done and something
for everyone to do. That certainly has not changed, and as we turn the
corner on another year, it is comforting to know that we will make it.
Congratulations to all who have participated in the Recovery and Growth of
St. Bernard Parish, and we remember all those who have passed on as a result
of Katrina and her aftermath."

In addition to the Parish Government Commemorative event on Sunday, August
28, the School Board will hold its annual Day of Reflection Breakfast
Monday, August 29. For tickets, contact Shelby Harrison at 301-2000 or
sharrison at sbpsb.org <mailto:sharrison at sbpsb.org> .

On the weekend of the 6th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, Shine
Productions will sing a love song to the people and places of New Orleans'
historic neighbor, St. Bernard Parish. Barry Lemoine's original play, The
Somewhat True History of St. Bernard (Abridged): A Love Story will take
place Aug. 26 and Aug. 27 at 8 p.m. and Aug. 28 at 3 p.m. at Chalmette's
Nunez College Auditorium, 3710 Paris Road in Chalmette.

"To really love a place, you have to know about it," Lemoine said. "And on
the 6th anniversary of Katrina, I thought it was important to tell a story
that celebrates the parish, and the place I call home." Lemoine, whose past
writing and directing credits include An Evening with Betsy, The Voices of
Louisiana, and Bless Ya, Boys, will once again mesh history, humor, and
heartache to tell this story.

Mary Burns, who with Lemoine received a Big Easy Award Nomination for An
Evening With Betsy, heads the cast. Helping Burns to tell the story is New
York stage actor Ted McGuiness who returns to the parish, starring as Parish
Historian William Hyland, the true expert of St. Bernard history.
McGuiness' was also Uncle Sam in Shine Productions' The Louisiana Pur-Chase,
another rollercoaster romp through the pages of history.

Tickets are $12 in advanced and $15 at the door and can be purchased at PJ's
Coffeehouse in Chalmette or by calling 504-301-8770.

For more information about the Parish Government Commemorative Event at
Shell Beach, please call President Taffaro's office at 504-278-4227 or
contact Karen Bazile at kbazile at sbpg.net. To learn more about our growth and
recovery, visit www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net> .

###