[StBernard] James Licciardi announces run for St. Bernard Parish assessor

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Aug 27 09:54:03 EDT 2011

James Licciardi announces run for St. Bernard Parish assessor

Published: Friday, August 26, 2011, 6:00 PM

By Times-Picayune Staff

James J. "Jimmy" Licciardi Jr. has announced his candidacy for St. Bernard
Parish assessor in the October election.

Licciardi, a lifelong parish resident, is president of LASH Homes Inc. and a
former member of the Parish Council.

In a news release announcing his campaign, Licciardi said his knowledge of
the building industry and his experience as a former elected official "gives
me an edge over my opponents in this race."

During his 16 years in public office, "I had an opportunity to serve the
residents of St. Bernard, gain valuable experience in dealing with budgets
exceeding $30 million and working with other local, state and national
officials to improve the quality of life in St. Bernard," he said.

Licciardi said the next assessor "will face many tough challenges over the
next four years in dealing with fair appraisal issues for the residents and
businesses of our parish. I will continue the fight to extend tax relief for
our homes and businesses after the total devastation of our parish by
Hurricane Katrina, thus giving the opportunities to homeowners and
businesses to return, rebuild and recover."

He said he will fight to maintain the homestead exemption and lobby the
Legislature for its increase.

Licciardi has been a member of the Greater New Orleans Homebuilders, the
Louisiana Homebuilders and National Homebuilders associations and served on
the board of directors of each. He served last year as president of the New
Orleans area group.

Licciardi, a lifelong Meraux resident, is married to Carol Avengo Licciardi,
and they have five children.

The election will be Oct. 22. A runoff if necessary will be Nov. 19.
Longtime Assessor Marlene Vinsanau is not seeking re-election.