[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish makes preparations for bad weather and advises citizens

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 1 20:33:01 EDT 2011

St. Bernard Parish makes preparations for bad weather and advises citizens

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said he wants residents
to know that current weather projections indicate a slow moving system that
potentially will bring up to 11 inches of rainfall through the weekend.

"Rainfall may be accompanied by some gusty wind conditions of up to 30 mph.
We expect that conditions will deteriorate as the weekend approaches,"
President Taffaro said at an afternoon press conference also attended by
Chief Deputy Sheriff James Pohlmann, Schools Superintendent Doris Voitier,
Parish Chief Administrative Officer and Homeland Security Director Dave
Dysart and Stu Williamson, Executive Director of the Lake Borgne Basin Levee
District.

"While we do not expect this event to bring hurricane conditions,
significant rainfall is expected. There could be localized street flooding,"
Taffaro said. "This system underscores the current conditions of the gulf
which are favorable for tropical activity. Currently, St. Bernard Parish is
operating at full drainage and pumping capacity. Drainage canals have been
pumped down to add additional storage capacity. Public works crews are in
the field making any necessary preparations and pre-staging additional pumps
for trouble areas. We are activating our emergency operations center as of 9
a.m. tomorrow morning and will remain on partial activation into the
weekend, pending the course of the weather."

Taffaro said residents may contact the parish Emergency Operations Center
with any specific concerns regarding a construction or road site at
278-4268.

"With the significant amount of construction projects underway, all
contractors have been instructed to secure their respective sites. Residents
are reminded to use caution on streets with any standing water and be aware
of potentially open panels," Taffaro said.

"We will continue to monitor the conditions and keep the public informed as
conditions change.

Use this as an opportunity to check your individual preparation plan: Go
through your checklist of documents, medications, supplies,
transportations," Taffaro said. "We continue to monitor and review all
pumping stations and coordinate with Lake Borgne. Personnel are in place for
the Lake Borgne Basin Levee District, and they will work through the
weekend."

The gates at Bayou Dupre and Bayou Bienvenue are closed, Taffaro said.
However, the gate at the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway at the storm surge
barrier will remain open for vessels seeking safe harbor.

St. Bernard Chief Deputy Sheriff James Pohlmann said that the department is
pre-staging barricades at points which may present standing water. Deputies
will be on hand to help direct traffic where there may be street flooding.
The Sheriff's Office will make the public aware if there will be sandbags
given away at port, in case the need arises.

Taffaro said all services scheduled will remain on schedule for tomorrow.
Regular garbage pick-up will be in place, and government operations will
work its normal schedule tomorrow. Entergy is on standby and has manpower
prepared to respond to any power outages which may occur throughout the
course of this weekend.

Superintendent Doris Voitier said that schools are scheduled to remain open
Friday, but parents may contact their children's schools to find out whether
extra-curricular activities will still happen. Additionally, she reminded
parents that the system has an emergency contact system that will be able to
reach every parent if the School Board needs to get them further
information.

Taffaro said that the parish also has a system where residents can get
weather updates and emergency alerts to their email, home phone or cell
phone by registering for FirstCall on the parish website at www.sbpg.net and
going to the Homeland Security page.

"We ask that while this does not appear to be a hurricane event, residents
should secure any loose items around their homes," Taffaro said. "We ask
that residents survey their neighborhoods and pick up any loose and
vegetative debris that may cause obstructions to the drainage catch basins."

For more information, stayed tuned to local media and the parish website at
www.sbpg.net.

###