[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Government ahead of the curve in terms of recovery projects completed and underway in the face of potential FEMA funding problems at the national level

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 27 09:51:11 EDT 2011

St. Bernard Parish Government ahead of the curve in terms of recovery
projects completed and underway in the face of potential FEMA funding
problems at the national level

In light of the situation brewing in Washington DC over the potential
shutdown and loss of sorely needed disaster recovery funds from FEMA, St.
Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said St. Bernard is in a
better position than other areas that aren't as far in their recovery
efforts.

"Recovering from a disaster takes the complete cooperation of local
government with all the agencies at the state and federal level to make
progress," Taffaro said. "We have over 500 FEMA funded projects underway. We
have pushed our recovery ahead of other areas. We have had had a tremendous
relationship with FEMA, which has funded over $200 million in road work
alone."

But Taffaro said a national shutdown of FEMA funding could affect St.
Bernard. In the process of repairing roads, he said it is possible millions
of dollars or more in repairs could be identified in money that are not yet
obligated or budgeted from FEMA though that wouldn't be possible if the
shutdown occurs. Additionally the FEMA is paying to repair and rehabilitate
1 million linear feet of sewer line work. Obviously, once that underground
work is underway, other problems are often discovered that could easily
require the parish to have to request FEMA to reevaluate and give more
money.

"We have pushed our recovery for a reason," Taffaro said. "We have found the
further you extend out from a disaster, the more difficult it is to keep
people engaged for funding. We have been fortunate that we have been ahead
of the curve."

Both chambers of Congress must agree on new spending legislation to avoid a
partial shutdown after the close of the current fiscal year at the end of
September.

###