[StBernard] Deceased Chalmette resident Joan Elizabeth Manzella donated her estate of $400, 000 to St. Bernard Animal Services

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 30 21:00:14 EDT 2011

Deceased Chalmette resident Joan Elizabeth Manzella

Donated her estate of $400,000 to St. Bernard Animal Services

The late Joan Elizabeth Manzella who spent most of her life in Chalmette
left her entire estate - more than $400,000 to the St. Bernard Parish Animal
Services Department. St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro and
Animal Services Director Beth Brewster met with attorney Al Perry and
Manzella's cousin Josephine Carderera to sign the papers and accept the
donation.

"Her dedication and love of animals and the Animal Shelter has resulted in a
donation of over $400,000 to the animal shelter which will go a long way to
helping with some capital improvements," Taffaro said. "We are so grateful
to Ms. Manzella for her generosity and for her love of animals."

"That was her wish, for all of it to go to the Animal Shelter," Carderara
said. "She loved poodles all her life."

"Ms. Manzella's overwhelming generosity will literally save lives," said
Beth Brewster. "As a true advocate for animals, Ms. Manzella's legacy will
be remembered in each pet we place in a new home. Not only will it benefit
hundreds of unwanted, homeless, and abandoned animals in our parish, Ms.
Manzella's generous gift will enable the St. Bernard Parish Animal Shelter
to build a play area for our cats. If our animals could speak, you would
hear a chorus of thank you's. Ms. Manzella is truly an advocate for the
voiceless, and this gift will benefit the hundreds of animals we care for
annually."

###