[StBernard] FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 16 11:01:14 EDT 2011

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Over the past several years, I have noticed a disconnect between our
citizens and the sheriffs office. Although maybe unintentional I know this
to be true. Not only with just the deputies, but the people they serve. I
believe the reason is the real mission has been lost.

Law Enforcement personnel are supposed to "Protect, Respect and Serve".

One of the first things I will do is install traffic stop cameras in every
Sheriff's office vehicle. One thing about a traffic stop on audio and video
tape, it does not lie. It will be a great training, evidentiary tool and
will allow my staff and I to evaluate what our officers are doing and what
changes need to be made.

Secondly, I will remove all of the dark limousine tint off of all marked
Sheriff's office vehicles. The citizens need to see the deputies who serve
them and I know this will help remove the intimidation factor stigma from
our office.

Thirdly, I will implement my Community Policing Program. I will utilize the
current Neighborhood Watch Program and expand it. I will have all of the
Neighborhood Watch Captains create databases containing names, addresses,
email addresses and telephone numbers. Once created these databases will be
maintained by each particular captain. If a crime is committed on a
particular street on a Monday night, and the Sheriff's office knows about
it, we will send out an email to the Neighborhood Watch Captains in that
area to let them know the crime occurred. We will also give particulars as
to how it happened so each person knows how to better protect themselves.

Fourth, I will utilize my relationship with my Federal Partners to promote
training and education for all employees of the Sheriffs Office.

As your Sheriff I will promise the above will happen.

Sincerely,

Barry C. Bernadas #58