[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish sheriff's candidate gets backing of third-place finisher

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 1 08:28:07 EDT 2011

St. Bernard Parish sheriff's candidate gets backing of third-place finisher

Published: Monday, October 31, 2011, 3:00 PM Updated: Monday, October
31, 2011, 3:01 PM

By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, The Times-Picayune

The third-place finisher in the Oct. 22 primary for St. Bernard Parish
sheriff, Col. Chad Clark, announced Monday that he is endorsing top finisher
and fellow employee, Chief Deputy Sheriff James Pohlmann. Pohlmann is facing
off against St. Bernard Parish Councilman Wayne Landry in the Nov. 19
runoff.

Pohlmann received 45 percent of the vote, running 2,012 votes ahead of Wayne
Landry, who garnered 30 percent. Clark finished the primary with 18 percent
-- 2,299 ballots.

St. Bernard Sheriff Jack Stephens, the longest-serving current sheriff in
Louisiana, is not seeking a eighth term.

Denise Clark, Jimmy Pohlmann and Chad Clark announce endorsement with press
and supporters

At a press conference Monday, Clark, an 18-year veteran of the Sheriff's
Office, said "the people of St. Bernard value their serenity and safety."

"Safety doesn't come to us by accident. It rises from a much greater
phenomenon - that's leadership," Clark said. "The leadership of (Pohlmann)
has earned him the respect of our families and our force."

Pohlmann, who has 28 years in the department, has run the Sheriff's Office's
day-to-day operations as the top non-elected sheriff's official for the past
four years.

Clark and Pohlmann both said they share a "common vision" and now "stand
united."

Pohlmann framed the race against Landry as centering on experience in the
Sheriff's Office and said that while "we need change in the St. Bernard
Sheriff's Office, changes in policies and procedures... we are not going to
change the way we fight crime."

C 2011 NOLA.com. All rights reserved.