[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. called to Washington DC to give input on the pending Corps Eco-System Restoration Feasibility Study

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 9 08:15:17 EST 2011

St. Bernard Parish Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. called to Washington DC

to give input on the pending Corps Eco-System Restoration Feasibility Study

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. was one of several key
state, regional and local officials, called to Washington DC to meet today
with the US Army Corps of Engineers Assistant Secretary for Civil Works
Jo-Ellen Darcy to discuss the Corps Eco-System Restoration Feasibility study
and the impending draft report.

Taffaro, who is considered a coastal leader in the region and is a
recognized expert who has repeatedly been requested to give testimony to
Congress and the state Legislature, was invited to attend the meeting along
Garret Graves, Director of the Governor's Office of Coastal Affairs;
Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East President Tim Doody,
Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation <http://www.saveourlake.org/> Coastal
Sustainability Program Director John Lopez, National Wildlife Federation's
Coastal Louisiana Organizer Amanda Moore and Courtney Taylor, an
analyst/attorney with Coastal Louisiana Project for the Environmental
Defense Fund.

Taffaro said the meeting's focus was to ensure the comprehensive report
addresses the over 27,000 public comments that were received during the
public comment period.

"We've been working at this for several years, and we are nearing the point
that we have to ensure that the final version of the report includes
everything that we have requested. We want to make sure that our needs are
addressed so that proper funding and timing continues to be a priority."

The Eco-System Restoration Feasibility Study and pending draft report is
meant to address coastal restoration of the damages from the Mississippi
River-Gulf Outlet.

For more information about St. Bernard Parish and its growth and recovery,
visit www.sbpg.net.

###