[StBernard] Longtime St. Bernard Parish clerk of court battles lawyer in hopes of 7th term

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 17 08:53:05 EST 2011

>and then, she says, in 2015 she'd likely

step aside instead of running for an eighth term

Yeah, I'm afraid she'll step down before the 2015 election, name lil Lena as
her successor and then lil Lena runs as the incumbent. And so the story
goes.

Actually I think more damage was done to her by the 5, 7(?) people who
listed her house for voting purposes but who live elsewhere.

Longtime St. Bernard Parish clerk of court battles lawyer in hopes
of 7th
term

Published: Wednesday, November 16, 2011, 8:00 AM

By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, The Times-Picayune

Ninety-year-old St. Bernard Parish Clerk of Court Lena Torres is
asking
voters Saturday for one more stint at the helm, but her 46-year-old
rival,
Randy Nunez, says change is necessary to bring the clerk's office
into the
21st century. Torres has been in office for six terms, but her grip
on the
office is more fragile than ever before.

She trailed Nunez, an attorney, after the October primary, and
third-place
finisher Larry Landry, who claimed 3,368 votes, has endorsed Nunez,
running
advertisements saying of the Torres clan that "nobody should have
control of
a public office that long."