[StBernard] District A

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 22 11:07:40 EST 2011

The election is over and it's time to heal but I will always feel voter may
have influenced elections. As a former candidate for District A Council, I
know how hard it is to beat the streets for months in the oppressive heat
and eat take out late at night while almost neglecting your family and
friends -- not to mention the everyday duties of maintaining a household and
personal funds spent.

I do not feel it influenced my results but every candidate makes a huge
sacrifice to run and it is imperative that all votes be valid. After I lost
in the primary, I supported Peter Rupp because we share the same goal of
honesty and proper representation. He is now investigating his loss by 16
votes and I wish him the best and will help him in any way.

My point is that voter fraud should be investigated and penalized to the
full extent and should never tolerated. This is totally unacceptable. With
that in mind, I submit an opinion letter below and a summary of the
privilege of voting.

----------------

Anyone remember the "vote early, vote often" joke in St. Bernard parish of
years ago? Well, apparently the concept of illegal voting is still alive and
well according to the recent expose' of those living outside of St. Bernard
(outside Louisiana for that matter), voting in the recent elections. I am
both angry and sad at the same time -- and I might add embarrassed. Both the
Louisiana Secretary of State and Attorney General have stated election
results must stand although proof of violations has been produced and
reported by the media. The legislature will introduce a bill next year to
kill the "displaced Katrina voter" clause that was open ended. Can anyone
tell me that a former resident who has moved and holds a homestead exemption
on property elsewhere six years later really feels it is still legal to vote
in their former parish?

I consider my right to vote to be a precious and hard fought privilege that
I enjoy through the sacrifice of many. Perhaps we all need to refresh our
memories on those struggles. Below is an very brief summary of facts from
History of Voting Rights in America (www.iwantmyvote.com).

When this country was founded, only white men who owned property were
allowed to vote while working men, women and people of color were denied the
right to vote. By the time of the Civil War, most white men were allowed to
vote whether or not they owned property. In 1869, the 15th Amendment
guaranteed the right to vote to black men (although with many restrictions),
with most women of all races still unable to vote. Finally in 1920, the 19th
Amendment gave women of all color the right to vote.

What is missing in the above brief summary and time frame are the detailed
struggles, sacrifices and determination of individuals who fought for our
right to vote today and consider it a privilege and an honor.

Why can't we do the same?

Debby Rosenberger

Chalmette LA

504 494 1884