[StBernard] Driver's License

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 25 13:40:55 EST 2011

I am no expert on this, but this is my take on it.

1) The Courts are very reluctant to dismiss any vote.
2) The poll workers are only there to verify identity, not address.
3) It is up to candidates to have poll watchers to contest a voters
eligibility.
4) You need to be registered 30 days before an election. It is very possible
for someone to move within those 30 days.
5) Every law is only as good as the enforcement of it.

Residency requirements vary from state to state. I'm not sure what the law
is exactly in Louisiana, but it seems from some of the Lee Zurik reporting,
you only need to stay overnight at an address for three nights (not sure if
they have to be consecutive nights) to be able to claim residency for the
year, regardless of where your homestead exemption is.

What's being lost with the focus on homestead exemptions is what about
renters? They have no homestead exemption, so what are you going to use for
them?

I think people should vote where they live, but you will always have those
who want to vote where they work instead (usually because of money reasons).

Now that I am thinking on it a little more, it does all boil down to money.
Tie the voter registrar's office to the assessor's office. Make a change at
one and it happens at the other. Now you can't have different addresses and
it forces a decision. Are you better off financially voting where you work
and forgoing the homestead exemption or should you take the homestead
exemption and vote where you live?

Westley