[StBernard] Toastmasters returns to St. Bernard Dec. 17 at First Bapist Church of Chalmette

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 29 20:41:49 EST 2011

Toastmasters Returns to St. Bernard Parish

First Baptist of Chalmette Hosts New Club

CHALMETTE, LA --- First Baptist Church of Chalmette is excited to be hosting a new Toastmasters club. Although there were other such clubs in the parish prior to Katrina, this will be the first since the storm.

Tina Guillot, a resident of Braithwaite Park and an Area Governor for Toastmasters District 68, Division C, said that when she decided to join Toastmasters in the spring of 2011, she immediately searched the international organization’s website for a nearby club only to discover there weren’t any in the parish. After joining another club in New Orleans and later becoming a member of the District Executive Council, Guillot decided to pursue re-establishment of a local club.

"I immediately thought of First Baptist," Guillot said. "Our family has visited the church and we’ve kept up with the latest activities there. I knew the congregation regularly hosted many community events, and I sent a note to Pastor John Jeffries with the idea of starting a Toastmasters club. Within a few minutes of receiving my email, he wrote back saying, “Tina, let’s do it!”

Guillot noted that she joined Toastmasters to improve her communication and leadership skills. "I have a degree in management, but Toastmasters offers me a different type of leadership education – hands on experience. I also wanted to improve my pubic speaking skills so that I can begin speaking outside of the club someday," she said.

A demonstration meeting open to the general public will be held at the church at 305 E. St. Bernard Highway in Chalmette on Saturday, December 17th at 9:00 a.m. Please call Tina Guillot at (504) 338-7927 or email her at cwguillot at bellsouth.net to RSVP or request further information.

About Toastmasters International

Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization that teaches public speaking and leadership skills through a worldwide network of clubs. Founded in October 1924, the organization currently has more than 270,000 members in 13,000 clubs in 116 countries. Each week, Toastmasters helps more than a quarter million people of every ethnicity, education and profession build their competence in communication so they can gain the confidence to lead others. For information about local Toastmasters clubs, please visit www.toastmasters.org.

###