[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish president tapped to run state hazard-mitigation programs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 6 23:46:30 EST 2011

St. Bernard Parish president tapped to run state hazard-mitigation programs

Published: Tuesday, December 06, 2011, 5:11 PM Updated: Tuesday,
December 06, 2011, 6:44 PM

By David Hammer, The Times-Picayune

St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro, who lost his bid for
re-election, has been named the new head of hazard mitigation programs for
the state of Louisiana, the state announced. Taffaro will assume a new
title, director of hazard mitigation and recovery coordination, and report
directly to Gov. Bobby Jindal's commissioner of administration, Paul
Rainwater.

His salary is slated to be $150,000 a year, according to state spokeswoman
Christina Stephens.

Chief among Taffaro's new duties will be overseeing the state's troubled
$750 million home-elevation grant program. That should relieve Pat Forbes,
the director of the Office of Community Development, of some responsibility
over a program under fire for alleged corruption and in the midst of
implementing key reforms.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to join Gov. Jindal's team and the chance
to continue the momentum of recovery beyond the borders of St. Bernard
Parish," Taffaro said. "While I hope for the best in St. Bernard, being part
of a larger team will mean greater recovery for the state as a whole. I'm
grateful to Gov. Jindal and Commissioner Rainwater for having the confidence
to afford me this opportunity."

Stephens said Forbes is going to focus more on running Community Development
Block Grant programs authorized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban
Development.

Rainwater said in a statement that Taffaro has proven that he is "skilled at
working with federal funds and cutting through red tape to get projects
done." With that in mind, he will also be in charge of working with parish
leaders receiving a new allocation of $390 million in Hazard Mitigation
money from FEMA.

Also, Taffaro will oversee issues related to the Louisiana Land Trust, the
quasi-public entity that controls properties purchased by the state through
the Road Home buyout program.

C 2011 NOLA.com. All rights reserved.