[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Issues Permits, Avoids Massive Fines

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Dec 24 00:34:57 EST 2011

St. Bernard Parish Issues Permits, Avoids Massive Fines

Residents Cleared To Move In At Four Apartment Complexes

POSTED: 11:43 am CST December 23, 2011

CHALMETTE, La. -- St. Bernard Parish officials say they have issued
occupancy permits to four mixed-income apartment complexes in Chalmette. A
federal judge had threatened to fine the parish $50,000 a day unless it
approved the permits so the apartments could be rented.

Parish councilman Frank Auderer Jr. said Friday that the permits were issued
to comply with U.S. District Judge Ginger Berrigan's order. The permits mean
people can live in the apartments, which have been under construction.

The apartments have been the center of a legal fight pitting the New Orleans
suburb against federal authorities and housing advocates.

"Well, this is incredible," James Perry said, calling the move an early
Christmas present. "I think people will be able to move in over next few
days."

But some in parish government called the repeated rulings against St.
Bernard a strike against home rule.

"As a municipality, we lost our right to govern ourselves and actually were
governed by the bench," parish council member Wayne Landry told WDSU.

After Hurricane Katrina, the parish tried to restrict the number of new
multi-family apartments. Berrigan shot down those efforts, saying they
discriminated against African-Americans.

Fair housing advocates spearheaded the fight to complete the complexes,
which were built by Provident Realty. The company must have its units in
service by Dec. 31 to qualify for federal low-income housing tax credits.

The developments are Magnolia Park, Parc Place, Riverview and The Woodlands.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/30064175/detail.html#ixzz1hQYy4wjN