[StBernard] Chalmette High Athletic Facilities to Be Repaired With More FEMA Funds

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 11 07:48:22 EST 2012

Chalmette High Athletic Facilities to Be Repaired With More FEMA Funds

Release Date: January 10, 2012
Release Number: 1603-960

> More Information on Louisiana Hurricane Katrina

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced today
nearly $3.8 million to the St. Bernard Parish School Board as additional
funding for complete restoration of several of Chalmette High School's
Katrina-damaged athletic facilities.

"CHS provides its students with an extensive athletic program. Hurricane
Katrina damaged many of the school's athletic facilities, and joint recovery
efforts remain underway to ensure these facilities are entirely repaired so
the athletic program can fully operate," said FEMA's Louisiana Recovery
Office Deputy Director of Programs Andre Cadogan. "Our most recent funding
supports continued recovery efforts at both CHS's baseball and football
stadiums."

New FEMA-funded work at CHS's baseball field facility includes the
replacement of the school's concession/restroom building, dugout repairs,
seating and fencing repairs. Recovery work funded at CHS's football field
facility includes both "home side" and "visitor side" repairs at the
concession buildings and press boxes, as well as bleacher repairs.

"We appreciate the continued support of FEMA in funding the recovery work at
the Chalmette High School athletic facilities," said St. Bernard Parish
Superintendent of Schools Doris Voitier. "FEMA has been a valued partner in
our total recovery, and we look forward to a shared effort to complete all
of our projects."

Construction on the athletic field facilities began in April 2010 and is
expected to be complete in 2012.

"High school sports tend to bring community members together. So in addition
to the students, hopefully these restored athletic facilities will also be
enjoyed by their families and friends too," added Cadogan.

Including this grant, FEMA has provided approximately $438 million in total
to the St. Bernard Parish School Board for Katrina and Rita related recovery
work necessary to restore many of their storm-damaged facilities.

When FEMA approves projects through its supplemental Public Assistance
grant, the funds are made available to the Governor's Office of Homeland
Security & Emergency Preparedness, who disburses them to the applicant for
eligible work completed.

The Public Assistance program works with state and local officials to fund
recovery measures and the rebuilding of government and certain private
nonprofit organizations' buildings, as well as roads, bridges and water and
sewer plants. In order for the process to be successful, federal, state and
local partners coordinate to draw up project plans, fund these projects and
oversee their completion.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure
that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our
capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and
mitigate all hazards.

Last Modified: Tuesday, 10-Jan-2012 18:53:46