[StBernard] Gov. Jindal Op-Ed: Mission not accomplished

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 22 16:58:13 EST 2012

I saw Jindal's presentation last week before the LABI group. There was one
comment he made I thought stood out. When talking about the efforts the
state needs to make to improve the quality of education in Louisiana he
talked about our efforts "are for the children in the school buildings, NOT
the adults." Let me go between the lines or words and reiterate: "we're
going to do what the people of Louisiana want and not what the education
labor unions want." And I agree that's precisely the way it has to be.

What many people don't even think about is our education system was created
and function purely and solely for the benefit of our kids. It's not to
provide jobs to teachers, janitors, maintenance workers, etc. Those jobs
are only the result of the need to educate our kids. Our state government
and our legislature is not there to represent any particular labor union or
work group. In fact, it's not there to even represent the local school
boards - that's why each parish spends a lot of money election board members
to do that.

No, our state government and legislature is there to represent the will of
"we the people." And right now "we the people" are demanding more charter
schools and some sort of voucher system. Clearly, efforts by certain labor
groups to oppose this has "nothing" to with the quality of education, but
only to serve their own selfish interests - and that's fine since it's all
part of the democratic process. But that in no way should discourage the
governor or legislature from carrying out the will of the people. Clearly,
Jindal gets it.

We are stuck in a system that hasn't worked for decades. Who says we must
remained married to the present archaic system? Divorces happen all the
time. And likewise, if a new way of doing things doesn't work out, who says
we can't go back to the old system?

Someone I know with one of the pro-charter school/voucher groups, told me a
recent meeting at a state educator's group went on for over an hour about
what's needed to improve education in Louisiana. He said not once did the
words "our children" or "our kids" ever get mentioned during the entire
presentation. It was entirely about their association and what was best for
them. That should tell you a lot. Do not misunderstand - I am not against
teachers and school employees. In fact, I still think teacher pay is below
what it should be. But labor organization politics have ruined our
education system and gotten in the way of improving it. If it comes down to
whose benefits need to be catered to the most, students or teachers, I think
we know how most of us will choose.

My perspective on this is not as an idealist, but as a pragmatic. The time
has come for Louisiana to move to the forefront and be a leader in education
reform. Give it a chance.

John