[StBernard] Insulting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 24 22:25:39 EST 2012

Sounds like someone in the teacher unions are getting terrified they're
going to lose political power to the taxpaying parent!

------------------------------------

In today's Times-Picayune
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9571%7c649476%7c62158
1&digest=M%2f5hz7QC6dmJCq%2b7Rc55mg&sysid=1> , an education union leader
sunk to a new low and attacked parents who only want to make the best choice
for their children. Believe it or not, a union leader said that low-income
parents "have no clue
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9572%7c649476%7c62158
1&digest=z%2btVn%2bbwvrB61Ti92LwOTA&sysid=1> " about how to choose a school
for their child.

The union leader's comments are just the type of top-down, arrogant, elitist
mentality that has badly damaged our system of public education in this
country. I believe that parents - regardless of their income or
circumstances - know what's best for their children. It's ridiculous and
insulting
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9573%7c649476%7c62158
1&digest=5BJ8ixVknUotS2hEm1lYLQ&sysid=1> to say that parents can't make
decisions in the best interest of their children.

When a union leader makes such an offensive comment, it's a very telling
indictment of where our education system is today and shows the amount of
change we need. The union leaders will attack anyone who tries to stand in
their way. They attack me for trying to reward good teachers and they attack
parents who want the ability to make the right choice for their kids. Union
leaders think government knows best about how to educate our kids, but I
trust moms and dads to make decisions.

Today, I met with a group of mothers who simply want more choices for their
kids because they are not getting the education they deserve. As many of the
mothers said, nobody knows their children like they do and they only want
the right to make choices for their kids.

That's why our reform plan gives EVERY child an opportunity to get a great
education. I trust parents of any background to do what's best for their
children.

Thanks,

Bobby