[StBernard] Worthwhile reads

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 1 08:18:24 EST 2012

Mr. Schurenberg had another great idea to "fix" social security too Westley,
one that I'm sure would be near and dear to your heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWTCphXE80Q

from Mr. Schurenberg:

The discussion we need to have, then, isn't simply whether we can pull the
levers to bring Social Security into balance. That is easy. Instead, we need
to ask a larger, tougher question: In light of all we owe-to our creditors,
our children and our future-how much do we want to spend supporting everyone
who happens to live past 62? We want to spend something, to be sure, and
maybe a lot. But myths and slogans shouldn't persuade us that we can avoid
the question. We can't.

Another discussion or question we could ask is **why** did the government
borrow or *raid* those Social Security funds in the first place
necessitating having to put in the iou's? The answer: It was there and
easy to grab.