[StBernard] The Inconvenient Constitution

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 1 18:19:12 EST 2012

Just a little bit of info on recess appointments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment

According to the Congressional Research Service
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Research_Service> , President
Bill Clinton <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton> made 139 recess
appointments. President George W. Bush
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush> made 171 recess appointments,
and as of January 5, 2012, President Barack Obama
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama> had made 32 recess
appointments.[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment#cite_note-5>

The Inconvenient Constitution

Posted by Senator Mike Lee (Diary)
Tuesday, January 31st at 2:00PM EST

As a United States Senator, I have sworn an oath to support, defend,
and
bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United
States.
Complying with this Oath is not always convenient. Sometimes this
requires
voting against legislation that embodies policies I agree with,
other times
it requires taking a stand when doing so may not be popular.

The Constitution itself is not a document of convenience. It
specifies an
onerous process - bicameralism and presentment - with which the
government
must comply to enact legislation. And it imposes separation of
government
powers and a system of checks and balances between the different
branches.